The Wonders of Wales
On this captivating journey through deep green valleys, past snow-dusted mountains and along an unforgettable coastline, we'll go high and low in search of Wales' most iconic sights. Join us as we walk the ancient lands of Celts and Romans, immersing ourselves in age-old local traditions as we go.
Travel Dates: From 05/09/2020 to 10/10/2020
Duration: 8 days
Company: Back Roads Touring
- Indulge in a traditional afternoon tea served in glorious surroundings
Enjoy a soul-stirring Welsh male voice choir performance
Embark on a steam train ride through the spectacular scenery of Snowdonia National Park
DAY 1 Cardiff - Brecon Beacons
After meeting the group in Cardiff this morning, we’ll set off in search of the Wales of old. Our first stop? St Fagans National Museum of History, Wales’ most popular heritage attraction. After learning a fact or two, we’ll move on to Caerleon, where we’ll explore the fascinating Roman Fortress and Baths – and find out more about life in second-century Britain. After that, we’ll journey onwards through the dramatic Welsh Valleys to Brecon Beacons National Park, where a welcome dinner awaits us. Accommodation: The Bear Hotel at Crickhowell (or similar)
DAY 2 Brecon Beacons - Wye Valley - Brecon Beacons
This morning we’ll take things underground with a tour of the Big Pit National Coal Museum – a fascinating reminder of the coal industry’s importance to Welsh heritage. After returning to the daylight, we’ll travel onwards through the spellbinding Wye Valley en route to our next stop: the hauntingly beautiful ruins of Tintern Abbey. Take it from us – the abbey’s surroundings are just as beautiful as the building itself! Before we return to the hotel for the evening, there’s a treat in store: a wine-tasting session at an award-winning vineyard. Accommodation: The Bear Hotel at Crickhowell (or similar)
DAY 3 Brecon Beacons - Llangollen - North Wales
Today our journey will take us further north along the border regions of Mid Wales to Pontcysyllte Aqueduct: the longest and highest structure of its kind (and a UNESCO World Heritage Site). After enjoying an afternoon tea together at the charming Tu Hwnt I’r Bont Tearoom, we’ll move on to our hotel – where we’ll stay for the next two nights. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 4 North Wales
After an eventful few days, today you’ll have plenty of free time to explore Conwy. What you do is up to you – but we recommend visiting the imposing Conwy Castle and taking a look at the medieval town walls. This evening, a Welsh cultural experience is in store: prepare to witness a soul-stirring male voice choir performance. Accommodation: TBC
DAY 5 North Wales- Nant Gwrtheyrn - Portmeirion
Today we’ll be whisked away to the village with the longest place name in Europe – Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch – before moving on to the fascinating Llanberis Slate Mine. After that, it’s onwards to the Welsh Language Heritage Centre in Nant Gwrtheyrn – where we’ll flex our language skills with a lesson in tongue-twisting Welsh pronunciation. There will be plenty of time to practise your new-found skills over dinner in Portmeirion tonight! Accommodation: Hotel Portmeirion (or similar)
DAY 6 Portmeirion - Ffestiniog railway - Pembrokeshire
Today we’ll take in the breathtaking landscapes of Snowdonia National Park in comfort and style as we enjoy a steam train ride along the historic Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway. We’ll then stop off at the home of Welsh poet Hedd Wyn before hitting the road to Pembrokeshire. Accommodation: Hammet House (or similar)
DAY 7 Pembrokeshire - Castell Henlleys - Pembrokeshire
The rugged landscape around Castell Henllys is known as ‘the Land of Magic and Enchantment’ – and today we’ll get to experience its otherworldly charm as we take a tour of the intriguing Iron Age site. After that, we’ll visit the National Coracle Centre – before donning our best outfits and meeting for one last dinner together. Accommodation: Hammet House (or similar)
DAY 8 Pembrokeshire - Saint David's Head - Cardiff
Back to Cardiff we go! From Pembrokeshire, we’ll make the scenic drive along Wales’ west coast, stopping off at St David’s Head (a dramatic headland that’s famous for its wildflowers). When we reach the Welsh capital, our tour will come to a close.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 05 June 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.