Outback Contrasts: A Journey to the Centre (CRAU)
Witness the rugged landscape of the Red Centre and marvel at the ancient cultures that have cared for this land for generations. Experience the majesty of Uluru, Kings Canyon and view rock art dating back thousands of years, witness striking landscapes and be immersed in the stories of the Dreamtime.
Travel Dates: From 05/06/2020 to 29/09/2020
Duration: 5 days
Company: AAT KINGS
The sprawling West MacDonnell RangesWander through Simpsons GapIconic Uluru (Ayers Rock) ExploreFascinating Angkerle (Standley Chasm)The 36 mystical domes of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) ImmerseHike to the top of Kings Canyon for magnificent viewsLearn about Uluru sacred sitesHike through Walpa Gorge RelaxUnwind in your Deluxe Spa Room at Kings Canyon ResortExperience a spectacular Red Centre sunriseToast an Uluru sunset with sparkling wine
Hand-picked accommodationComplimentary refreshments throughout the journeyAirport Transfers (see flight information below)
This afternoon you’ll meet your Journey Director who will share their take on what life is like in such an isolated Australian town like Alice Springs. We’ll visit the Royal Flying Doctor Service to see how this facility provides medical assistance to those living in outback Australia. Then a visit to the School of the Air, a crucial service providing education to children living in remote Australian communities. Tonight, you will enjoy a Local Dining Experience with your hosts at an open-air barbecue dinner with campfires as the Milky Way lights up the wide Australian sky.
This morning you will visit the historic Overland Telegraph Station and learn about the overland telegraph line and why Alice Springs is in this location. Then you will drive to Simpsons Gap and Angkerle (Standley Chasm), which was created over millions of years, the deep red sandstone formation contrasts with the lush green ferns and gum trees on the valley floor. This afternoon you have some free time to relax by the pool or choose to explore more of Alice Springs on your own.
Today we drive further through the West MacDonnell Ranges to Kings Canyon. Along the way there’ll be time to see the cool waters at Ellery Creek Big Hole. Travelling offroad along the 4WD-only Mereenie Loop Road we will travel past Tylers Lookout and Gosses Bluff. This evening you’re treated to the unique Local Dining Experience, Under a Desert Moon, set in the wilderness under a canopy of the Southern Night sky (weather permitting). The only light comes from the moon and the flickering glow of the fire and the only sound is soft music intertwined with the whispering of the breeze through the Desert Oak trees and the crackling flames. Enjoy sparkling wine and canapés followed by a fourcourse dinner, prepared from fresh produce and ingredients unique to the Australian Outback.
This morning, you’re off on a six-kilometre Rim Walk exploration of the spectacular Kings Canyon. As you venture around the rim, highlights include the domed ‘Lost City’, and the luscious ‘Garden of Eden’. Now you will journey to Uluru. Your first stop is Curtin Springs which has been home to the Severin family since 1956 when Peter Severin arrived with his young wife Dawn, their toddler son Ashley and 1,500 head of cattle. Sit down to a barbecue lunch and meet one of the locals as you hear about the Severin family and the logistics of running a million acre cattle property. This afternoon we enter Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and make our way to the domes of Kata Tjuta. Here you’ll join your Journey Director for a guided walk through Walpa Gorge. The large, steep domelike formations of Kata Tjuta are amazing to walk through and have great cultural significance for the Anangu people. As the sun sets, you’ll see spectacular changing colours over Uluru from the prime sunset viewing area. This evening share a few laughs with your fellow travellers over a delicious meal at Ilkari Restaurant.
You’ll start the day with an impressive sunrise over Kata Tjuta and Uluru from the sunrise viewing area. From here it’s off to the Uluru-Kata Tjuta Cultural Centre for an insight into the history of the local Anangu People. Having lived in and looked after the Uluru and Kata Tjuta region for tens of thousands of years, the Anangu – the areas Traditional Owners – have a strong connection with this land. At the base of Uluru hear timeless stories, view spectacular rock art, and visit the culturally-significant Mutitjulu Waterhole. In the late morning, when your Inspiring Journey comes to an end, you’ll be transferred to Ayers Rock Airport for your onward flight.
Terms and conditions
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 06 April 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 01 April 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.