Most of the Coast–Sydney to Cairns
from $ 17,550* per person
The route up Australia’s East Coast has earned its rep as one of the seemingly endless supply of must-do experiences in the country. The classic Sydney-to-Cairns route introduces you to both sides of modern Australia — the bright lights of the big city and the raw beauty of the Outback. You’ll get to try your hand at dozens of activities — everything from wine-tasting to sailing and snorkelling. And when you travel in small groups like we do, you really get out there into the wild to meet the locals and experience the land like they do. That amazing new frontier you’ve been looking for? Here it is.
Travel Dates: From 03/01/2016 to 03/01/2021
Duration: 16 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your Hands-On Moment: Wine Tutorial, Hunter Valley Your Hands-On Moment: Surfing Lesson, Byron Bay Your Discover Moment: Byron Bay Your Discover Moment: Cairns Your Big Night Out Moment: Cairns
- Sydney orientation walk
- Fraser Island 4x4 excursion
- Entrance fees to Cooloola Recreation Area and Fraser Island in Great Sandy NP
- Noosa Everglades overnight experience
- Noosa Everglades canoeing excursion
- Whitsunday Islands sailing excursion (3 days)
- Whitehaven Beach visit
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
9 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
Hostels (11 nts), overnight train (1 nt), maxi yacht (2 nts), cabin (1 nt)
- All nights multi-share
Group Size Notes
Max 20, avg 16
Private vehicle, train, maxi yacht, 4x4 vehicle, ferry, walking
Day 1 Sydney
There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and explore the city. If you arrive early enough, head down to the harbour's edge to 'The Rocks' historic area and the Opera House. Additional Notes: Want to start your Down Under adventure with an adrenaline rush? Add the 'Sydney Adrenaline Bundle' or 'Sydney Bridge Climb' extra to your tour. Get an incredible view of the iconic Sydney Harbour from the top of the Harbour Bridge, then zip through the waterways on a jet boat ride if you book the 'Adrenaline Bundle'. PLEASE NOTE: If booking either of these extras, a pre-night in Sydney is highly recommended as the Bridge Climb starts early in the morning on Day 1. Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Sydney
Enjoy a free day to explore Sydney. Opt to chill out at Bondi Beach. For a rush of adrenaline, opt to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge or zip through the harbour on a jet boat. Pre-book the "Sydney Bridge Climb" or "Sydney Adrenaline Bundle" activity on the checkout page to add these optionals to your tour. Included Activities: Orientation Walk
Day 3 Sydney/Tamworth (1B, 1D)
Travel to the Hunter Valley for a wine tutorial before continuing on to Tamworth for a taste of Australian country living. Included Activities: Wine Tutorial Transport: Private Vehicle (2.00-3.00 hours, 170km) Private Vehicle (3.00-4.00 hours, 240km)
Day 4 Tamworth/Yamba (1B)
Continue north, visiting Raspberry Lookout and Boundary Falls in Gibraltar National Park en route. Once in Yamba, head to the beach for a swim. Transport: Private Vehicle (4.50-5.50 hours, 360km)
Day 5 Yamba/Byron Bay (1B)
After breakfast, travel the coastal road to the stunning surf and arts town of Byron Bay. Enjoy plenty of free time to experience the hippie surfing town. Options are abound — walk to the lighthouse (located on Australia's most easterly point) for a chance to see whales swimming off shore or hang ten with the locals after an included surfing lesson. Included Activities: Surfing Lesson Transport: Private Vehicle (2.00 hour(s), 128km)
Day 6 Byron Bay
The free time is yours to explore. Walk along the long stunning beach, play in the surf, or simply hang out at the Byron Bay Brewery and people watch. Want to get your adrenaline pumping? Go skydiving, try sea kayaking, or go on a dolphin watch.
Day 7 Byron Bay/Brisbane (1B)
Travel north, and opt for a night out in Queensland's capital. Additional Notes: Stop along the way to Brisbane for a quick break at one of the many surf spots such as the Gold Coast. Transport: Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 288km)
Day 8 Brisbane/Noosa Everglades (1B, 1L)
Set off to the Noosa Everglades for an evening surrounded by stunning wilderness. Additional Notes: Please note that due to operational reasons, this night and the following night may be reversed. All activities and inclusions will remain the same. Included Activities: Eco Cruise Canoeing Noosa Everglades Overnight Excursion Transport: Private Vehicle (2.00-3.00 hours, 150km)
Day 9 Noosa Everglades/Fraser Island (1B)
Once on the island, enjoy a 4x4 tour of Fraser Island, driving along over 100km of beach. Go for a swim in Lake McKenzie, and enjoy a rainforest walk along the way. Additional Notes: While on Fraser Island, main luggage will be stored in a secure storage facility. Each person will need to pack an overnight bag with max weight of 5kg, as access to main luggage will not be available again until the next day. This is due to luggage capacity restrictions in 4x4 vehicles. Included Activities: 4x4 Excursion Transport: Private Vehicle (1.25 hour(s), 95km) Ferry
Day 10 Fraser Island/Airlie Beach (1B, 1L)
Enjoy a morning of exploring by 4x4 to hit the remainder of Fraser Island's highlights, before hopping an overnight train north to Airlie Beach. Included Activities: 4x4 Excursion Transport: Ferry Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s), 115km) Overnight train (airplane seats) (12.00-14.00 hours)
Day 11 Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands (1D)
After arriving in Airlie Beach and some time for brunch, head to the marina and embark on a maxi yacht which will be our home for the next two nights. Set sail to a secluded cove in the Whitsunday Islands where you will drop anchor for the night. Included Activities: Whitsunday Islands Sailing Trip, Day 1 Transport: Maxi yacht
Day 12 Whitsunday Islands (1B, 1L, 1D)
The sailing route today allows us to follow part of Captain Cook's route up through the Whitsunday Islands. Again we drop anchor in a secluded bay for the night. Included Activities: Whitsunday Islands Sailing Trip, Day 2 Transport: Maxi yacht
Day 13 Whitsunday Islands/Airlie Beach (1B)
After three days at sea, we sail back to Airlie Beach for a night on land in a local beach hostel. Feel free to relax by the pool at the end of the day. Included Activities: Whitsunday Islands Sailing Trip, Day 3 Transport: Maxi yacht
Day 14 Airlie Beach/Cairns
Admire the scenery on the train north to Cairns. Additional Notes: Get ready for an early morning wake-up today for the journey to Cairns. Make sure to stock up on snacks and bring personal entertainment – it may be one of the longer travel days on this trip, but it's worth it to reach The Gateway to the Great Barrier Reef! Transport: Local bus (0.75-1.00 hours) Train (10.00-11.00 hours)
Day 15 Cairns
Enjoy a free day to visit the Great Barrier Reef or get the adrenaline pumping by whitewater rafting or bungee jumping. Cap it all off with a Big Night Out in Cairns. Prefer to plan ahead? Pre-book the "Great Barrier Reef Snorkelling" activity on the checkout page to include this optional on your tour. Included Activities: Big Night Out
Day 16 Cairns
Depart at any time. Included Activities: Departure Day
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 June 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.