Lima Experience - Independent
In Lima, the inquisitive traveller is rewarded with hidden treasures, and our local guides are the perfect entry point to Peru’s vast capital. The marvellous and well-restored colonial architecture of is only the beginning of this short but action-packed trip. Beyond the Baroque balconies lie secret treasures, from the age-old library and bone patchworks of the city’s famous monastery to the choice street food stalls frequented by the locals in the know – those who know full well the world-class culinary status of their home city. Independent Experiences Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily. /experiences
Travel Dates: From 17/01/2019 to 02/01/2021
Duration: 3 days
- Acquaint yourself with the colonial architecture of Peru's capital on a guided walking tour
Set eyes on thousands of intricately arranged human bones in the catacombs of the Monastery of San Francisco
Stroll the central market and sample the local seafood - renowned as some of South America's best
Enjoy plenty of free time making your own destination discoveries
Breakfasts Included: 2
Comfortable hotel (2 nights)
Bus,On foot,Private Vehicle
Group Size: 1 - 4
Complimentary airport arrival transfer
Complimentary Departure Transfer
Lima - Cathedral visit
Lima - Guided tour of San Francisco Monastery including The Catacombs
Lima - Larco Herrera Museum
On arrival at Lima's Jorge Chavez International Airport you will be met and transferred to your hotel in the well-known coastal suburb of Miraflores. This evening at approximately 6pm you will have a meeting with our Peregrine representative. Founded in 1535 by the Spanish conquistador, Francisco Pizarro, it was from Lima that all Spanish territories in South America were governed. Few cities at that time could rival Lima’s power, wealth and opulence. However its glory days ended in 1746 when the city was virtually destroyed by an earthquake. Many of the colonial buildings were rebuilt and you will get a first-hand look at several of them on the tour.
Today you will embark on half-day city tour of Lima. It will start this morning with a pick-up from your hotel at approximately 9 am (please confirm this time with your guide the night before). First you will visit the Central Market where you will take a walking tour. The market has a huge variety of fresh produce on offer including fruits, vegetables, meats including guinea pigs, nuts, Cheese and dried fruits. You will have the opportunity to try some local Peruvian fruits and or street food. The Peruvian population consists of 2% Chinese imigrants. Next we will visit Chinatown, known locally as Barrio Chino. Here, there are many Chinese restaurants and grocery stores. From Chinatown you will walk a couple of blocks to visit the nearby San Francisco Monastery. The church and monastery of Saint Francis were consecrated in 1673 and completed in 1774. The church, built in the Spanish Baroque style, survived earthquakes in 1687 and1746, but was extensively damaged in 1970. The complex was World Heritage-listed in 1991 as part of the 'Historic Centre of Lima'. One of the most interesting features of the monastery is the catacombs. Located below the building is an ossuary and a maze of passageways (said to connect to the cathedral during the time of the Inquisition). They remained in use until 1808 and were re-discovered in 1943. One of the features is a pit of bones and skulls arranged in a circular design. Within the monastery you will visit a libary which houses one of the oldest collections of books in Lima (approximately 25,000). From the monastery you will take a short walk to the main square of Lima, Plaza Mayor, which is the oldest public place in Lima. During the tour you also have an included visit to the Larco Museum, which is housed in an 18th century viceroyalty-era mansion. Surrounded by beautiful gardens, the Larco Museum is a stimulating and inspiring space in which visitors can enjoy and learn more about the fascinating history of ancient Peru. Your city tour today finishes at the Larco Museum. You may want to enjoy some lunch at the museums restaurant which is within the gorgeously manicured garden. Alternatively if you wish to take a taxi back to Miraflores your guide will be able to assist. The taxi should not cost more than 15 soles. In your spare time you might enjoy wandering around around Miraflores and visiting Parque del Amor (Love's Park), where you can enjoy a view aross Lima's beaches, or catching a taxi to visit the Gold Museum. You may also want to visit the impressive National Museum of Anthropology, Archaeology and History of Peru, which is home to a wonderful collection of cultural exhibits tracing the history, arts and accomplishments of the people of Peru ranging from the original inhabitants of the land through to the Inca Empire and the Spanish conquerors.
Your Independent Experience will come to an end today after breakfast. You will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight. Please ensure we are advised of your flight details booking your Lima Experience. At Peregrine we are always looking for ways to improve our trips and your feedback is invaluable to us and to our tour guides. It tells us what we're doing right, what you believe could be done better and what improvements you feel could help future travellers choose and enjoy Peregrine. At the end of your trip we ask that you to take a few minutes of your time to complete our on-line feedback form. Just go to http://www.peregrineadventures.com/tour-feedback for our easy to fill out questionnaire. We’d love to hear what you have to say!
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 21 January 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.