from $ 686* per person
Sail close to the clouds on Lake Titicaca and meet the descendants of ancient civilisations that inhabit its islands. Feel the spongy reeds of the 'floating' Uros islands beneath your feet, learn about unique local cultures and customs at a homestay, and relish the vistas over seemingly infinite waters from the brilliant Taquile Island. This is the world’s highest navigable lake, sitting at a soaring 3,812 m above sea level. On this unique and inspiring trip, encounter the fascinating people and beautiful locations that characterise this evocative place.
Travel Dates: From 25/05/2019 to 01/01/2021
Duration: 2 days
Departing From: Puno
- Explore the islands of South America's largest freshwater lake with local guide
Discover the ingenious floating islands that were hand-built by the indigenous Uru locals of Lake Titicaca
Spend the night with a local family on an island homestay – an incredible way to get to know a people and their culture
Experience the traditional culture of the Taquilenos and browse their beautiful handwoven apparel
Spot the exotic wildlife that flourishes in this lush region, keeping your eyes peeled for the Titicaca water frog
Breakfasts Included: 1
Lunches Included: 2
Dinners Included: 1
Homestay (1 nt)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 16
English speaking guide
Lake Titicaca boat trip and Uros Island
Taquile Island visit
Day 1: Puno / Lake Titicaca
Bienvenido! Welcome to Puno, a melting pot of Aymara and Quechuan Indian culture where traditional Andean customs are still strongly represented. The town is known as the folklore capital of Peru and is famous for its traditional dances. This morning you will be picked up from your hotel at approximately 7am. Transfer to the pier where you’ll meet your Intrepid local representative. After a safety briefing, collect just the items necessary for your overnight homestay – the remainder of your luggage can be stored at the hotel. Here, high up in the Peruvian mountains, lie the mystical blue waters of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world. From the shoreline, the water stretches out almost as far as the eye can see, its expanses just waiting to be explored. With the fellow travellers in your group, take a slow motorboat to the intriguing Uros floating islands (approximately 40 minutes). Enjoy an hour to explore this unique place and learn about a traditional lifestyle that’s been around since pre-Inca times. The Uros originally built their islands to isolate themselves from rival tribes. The islands are built from many layers of totora reeds that grow in the shallows of the lake. As the reeds closest to the water begin to rot, more layers are added on top. These reeds are used for making everything on the islands, including the boats that can last up to 12 months. Back on board the boat, sail to your homestay in a local community (approximately 2.5 hours). To get a closer look to the lifestyle in the island you will be welcomed into local homes for an overnight stay on a community island. Make the most of your visit by trying to chat with the host family in quechua, or help out with their daily activities. A game of soccer is also a great way to make local friends. Enjoy a simple but delicious meal and then bed down in one of the local homes. Notes: Hotel details are required no later than 15 days before departure to organise the pickup. Due to the early start, one night’s pre tour accommodation will be required. As you will be heading to a homestay today, we recommend picking up some snacks and perhaps a small gift for the family. We also recommend you take a torch and spare batteries as there’s no electricity on the island, except for some private solar powered generators. Wet wipes can be useful, too, as there is no shower.
Day 2: Puno
After breakfast, board the boat again for a visit to Taquile Island (approximately 1 hour). Here knitting is strictly the domain of men, while women focus on the spinning. This is the place to get your hands on some beautiful knitwear. You will hike uphill for an hour to reach the main part of the island, and enjoy great views across the lake. You’ll enjoy your lunch here (perhaps quinoa soup and muna – Andean mint – tea) with an amazing view. You will return down 500 steps to the boat that will take you on the three-hour journey back to Puno. Arrive back at Puno pier around 4-5pm, where your Lake Titicaca adventure comes to an end. If any further accommodation or transfer is needed, let us know in advance so proper arrangements can be made. Notes: After your travels, we want to hear from you! We rely on your feedback. We read it carefully. Feedback helps us understand what we are doing well and what we could be doing better. It allows us to make improvements for future travellers. Leave your feedback here - www.intrepidtravel.com/feedback
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 May 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.