Melbourne to the Red Centre
from $ 16,684* per person
If you really want to get Down Under and experience Australia’s highlights without feeling rushed, you’ll have to get off the big coaches. Explore Melbourne before hitting the Great Ocean Road and cutting through the Outback to the Red Centre. Here you’ll experience the mysteries of Uluru and gain insight into Aboriginal Australian culture. Buckle in and enjoy the ride!
Travel Dates: From 07/01/2020 to 29/12/2020
Duration: 13 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your Discover Moment: Adelaide Your Foodie Moment: Local Food Experience, Clare Valley
- Rainforest walk in Great Otway NP
- Aboriginal cultural centre visit
- Tower Hill Reserve visit
- Champagne sunset viewing of Uluru
- Mala Walk around Uluru and cultural centre visit
- Hikes at Grampians NP, Kata Tjuta (the Olgas), and Kings Canyon
- Entrance fees to Uluru NP, Ikara-Flinders Ranges, Grampians NP, 12 Apostles/Port Campbell NP
- Internal flight
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
11 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
Hostels (8 nts), swag camping (4 nts)
- All nights multi-share
Group Size Notes
Max 20, avg 16
Private vehicle, walking, plane
Day 1 Melbourne
There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and explore the city. If you arrive early enough, head into the city to take in the 'cultural capital of Australia'. Get lost in the city's famous laneways, go on the hunt for the perfect flat white (hint: Melbourne loves its coffee shops), catch the tram to St. Kilda, or wander around the über-cool Fitzroy neighbourhood. Additional Notes: Please try to arrive before 7pm for an important group welcome meeting where you can meet your Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and the other group members. Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Melbourne/Port Campbell (1B)
Depart early morning for the journey to Port Campbell. Check out the famous surf towns of Torquay, Lorne and Apollo Bay en route. Make a stop at Great Otway NP for an included rainforest walk. Explore the scenic attractions of the Great Ocean Road including the picturesque 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. Included Activities: 12 Apostles Visit Loch Ard Gorge Visit Rainforest Walk Transport: Private Vehicle (7.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 3 Port Campbell/Halls Gap (1B)
Start the day visiting more attractions of the Great Ocean Road including The Arch and the now broken London Bridge. Visit Tower Hill State Wildlife Reserve for a chance to see animals endemic to Australia such as koalas, emus and kangaroos. Opt to visit an Aboriginal Cultural Centre to learn about the significance of the area to the indigenous people. End the day with an evening walk in the Grampians NP. Included Activities: London Arch Visit Tower Hill State Wildlife Reserve Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 260km)
Day 4 Halls Gap/Adelaide (1B)
Early start to explore more of Grampians NP. Walk to the stunning Jaws of Death Balconies, visit MacKenzie's Falls, and travel onto Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Included Activities: Grampians National Park Visit The Balconies (Jaws of Death) Visit MacKenzie Falls Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00-6.50 hours, 500km)
Day 5 Adelaide
There are no planned activities during the day, so enjoy free time to explore the city. Opt to go for a cruise to swim with dolphins (seasonal), take the tram to Glenelg beach, visit a nearby winery, grab lunch at the Central Market, or enjoy time getting lost in the city. If you're travelling between mid-September to late-April, opt to pre-book the "Dolphin Swim and Cruise" activity on the checkout page, to include this optional on your tour. Additional Notes: New travellers may join you for the rest of your adventure. You are welcome to join them at a group meeting this evening, followed by an optional dinner.
Day 6 Adelaide/Ikara-Flinders Ranges (1B)
Hit the road in the morning. Admire scenic views across the Clare Valley and enjoy a local food experience featuring some of South Australia's best regional produce. Travel to the Ikara-Flinders Ranges, an ancient mountain range and your base for two nights. Included Activities: Local Food Experience Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s), 440km)
Day 7 Ikara-Flinders Ranges (1B, 1L, 1D)
Head to Wilpena Pound for a walk to a natural amphitheatre sacred to the Aboriginal Adnyamathana people. Learn about Aboriginal art and early settler history. Included Activities: Wilpena Pound Hike Transport: Private Vehicle (0.50 hour(s))
Day 8 Ikara-Flinders Ranges/Adelaide (1B)
Journey back to Adelaide via the historic township of Quorn. Stop for a waterside lunch at Port Pirie. Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s), 440km)
Day 9 Adelaide/Alice Springs (1B)
Board your flight to Alice Springs, gateway to the Red Centre of Australia. Relax this afternoon, or opt to visit the Royal Flying Doctors Museum or hike up ANZAC Hill. Transport: Plane
Day 10 Alice Springs/Kings Creek (1B, 1D)
Opt to get up early for a hot air balloon flight, before departing Alice Springs to journey to Kings Canyon. Spend your first night under the stars in a true Aussie desert swag (padded canvas bedroll). Transport: Private Vehicle (5.50 hour(s), 430km)
Day 11 Kings Creek/Uluru (1B, 1L, 1D)
Enjoy the morning taking in the scenery or by going on an optional 6km walk through the gorges and valleys of Kings Canyon of Watarrka National Park. Included Activities: Kings Canyon Hike Uluru at Sunset Transport: Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 420km)
Day 12 Uluru (1B, 1L)
This morning, awake before the sun so you can watch it rise over Uluru (Ayers Rock). Then, do the Mala Walk around part of the base of Uluru while learning its significance to the local Aboriginals. Visit the cultural centre to get a better understanding of the area. Opt to pre-book the "Uluru & Kata Tjuta Helicopter Ride" activity on the checkout page ahead of time, to include this optional on your tour. Included Activities: Uluru Mala Walk Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Day 13 Uluru/Alice Springs (1B)
Travel to the rock formations of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and, temperature permitting, walk through the Valley of the Winds to explore the surrounding area before continuing onto Alice Springs. The tour ends upon arrival to Alice Springs in the evening. Included Activities: Valley of the Winds Walk Departure Day (Activities) Transport: Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 375km)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.