Australia South to North–Melbourne to Darwin
from $ 17,472* per person
On the water and on the road? Is there a better way to explore somewhere new than from a few different vantage points? We didn’t think so either. This 19-day tour allows you to experience Australia from land, water and even underground. (Seriously! Just wait until you get to Coober Pedy.) From Melbourne to Darwin, your itinerary will include amazing stuff like rainforest walks in Great Otway National Park, awe-inspiring sunsets at Uluru, and even a wetland nature cruise in croc country.
Travel Dates: From 12/04/2016 to 10/09/2019
Duration: 19 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your Discover Moment: Adelaide Your Foodie Moment: Local Food Experience, Clare Valley Your Wellness Moment: Mataranka Hot Springs Visit
- Rainforest walk in Great Otway NP
- 12 Apostles visit
- Aboriginal centre visit
- Tower Hill Reserve visit
- Underground mine tour
- Champagne sunset viewing of Uluru
- Mala Walk around Uluru and visit to the culture centre
- Hikes at Grampians NP, Kata Tjuta (the Olgas), and Kings Canyon
- Wetland nature cruise in crocodile territory
- Aboriginal art and craft centre visit
- Exploration of Kakadu and Litchfield NPs
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
15 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 6 dinners
Hostels (10 nts), swag camping (7 nts), underground hostel (1 nt)
- All nights multi-share
Group Size Notes
Max 20, avg 16
Private vehicle, boat, walking
Day 1 Melbourne
There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and explore the city. If you arrive early enough, head into the city to take in the 'cultural capital of Australia'. Get lost in the city's famous laneways, go on the hunt for the perfect flat white (hint: Melbourne loves its coffee shops), catch the tram to St. Kilda, or wander around the über-cool Fitzroy neighbourhood. Additional Notes: Please try to arrive before 7pm for an important group welcome meeting where you can meet your Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and the other group members. Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Melbourne/Port Campbell (1B)
Depart early morning for the journey to Port Campbell. Check out the famous surf towns of Torquay, Lorne and Apollo Bay en route. Make a stop at Great Otway NP for an included rainforest walk. Explore the scenic attractions of the Great Ocean Road including the picturesque 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. Included Activities: 12 Apostles Visit Loch Ard Gorge Visit Rainforest Walk Transport: Private Vehicle (7.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 3 Port Campbell/Halls Gap (1B)
Start the day visiting more attractions of the Great Ocean Road including The Arch and the now broken London Bridge. Visit Tower Hill State Wildlife Reserve for a chance to see animals endemic to Australia such as koalas, emus and kangaroos. Opt to visit an Aboriginal Cultural Centre to learn about the significance of the area to the indigenous people. End the day with an evening walk in the Grampians NP. Included Activities: London Arch Visit Tower Hill State Wildlife Reserve Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 260km)
Day 4 Halls Gap/Adelaide (1B)
Early start to explore more of Grampians NP. Walk to the stunning Jaws of Death Balconies, visit MacKenzie's Falls, and travel onto Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. Included Activities: Grampians National Park Visit The Balconies (Jaws of Death) Visit MacKenzie Falls Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00-6.50 hours, 500km)
Day 5 Adelaide
There are no planned activities during the day, so enjoy free time to explore the city. Opt to go for a cruise to swim with dolphins (seasonal), take the tram to Glenelg beach, visit a nearby winery, grab lunch at the Central Market, or enjoy time getting lost in the city. If you're travelling between mid-September to late-April, opt to pre-book the "Dolphin Swim and Cruise" activity on the checkout page, to include this optional on your tour. Additional Notes: New travellers may join you for the rest of your adventure. You are welcome to join them at a group meeting this evening, followed by an optional dinner.
Day 6 Adelaide/Ikara-Flinders Ranges (1B)
Hit the road in the morning. Admire scenic views across the Clare Valley and enjoy a local food experience featuring South Australia's best regional produce. Continue to Flinders Ranges. Included Activities: Local Food Experience Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s), 440km)
Day 7 Ikara-Flinders Ranges (1B, 1L, 1D)
Take the day to explore the amazing scenery of Flinders Ranges. Included Activities: Wilpena Pound Hike Transport: Private Vehicle (0.50 hour(s))
Day 8 Ikara-Flinders Ranges/Glendambo (1B, 1L, 1D)
Travel from Flinders Ranges to Glendambo with a stop along the way at the salt lake of Lake Hart. Included Activities: Lake Hart Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (6.00 hour(s), 440km)
Day 9 Glendambo/Coober Pedy (1B)
Travel to the unique opal mining town of Coober Pedy, where people live underground to avoid the heat. A guided mine tour gives insight to the mining process and the importance of opal to the area. Overnight like the locals by sleeping in an underground hostel, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Included Activities: Guided Mine Tour Transport: Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 260km)
Day 10 Coober Pedy/Kings Creek (1B, 1D)
Take in the vastness of the Outback on a driving day, then bed down in a swag (padded canvas bedroll) around a campfire and sleep under the Outback sky. Transport: Private Vehicle (10.00 hour(s), 760km)
Day 11 Kings Creek/Uluru (1B, 1L)
Enjoy the morning taking in the scenery or by going on an optional 4km walk through the gorges and valleys of Kings Canyon of Watarrka National Park. Included Activities: Kings Canyon Hike Uluru at Sunset Transport: Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 420km)
Day 12 Uluru (1B, 1L, 1D)
The next morning, awake before sunrise to do the Mala Walk around part of the base of Uluru (Ayers Rock) while learning its significance to the local Aboriginals. Visit the cultural centre to get a better understanding of the area. Opt to pre-book the "Uluru & Kata Tjuta Helicopter Ride" activity on the checkout page ahead of time, to include this optional on your tour. Included Activities: Uluru Mala Walk Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit
Day 13 Uluru/Alice Springs (1B)
Take in the scenery around Uluru. Travel to the rock formations of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) and, temperature permitting, walk through the Valley of the Winds to explore the surrounding area. Travel to Alice Springs via the homestead of Erldunda and spend the night in a centrally located hostel in Alice Springs. Included Activities: Valley of the Winds Walk Transport: Private Vehicle (4.50 hour(s), 375km)
Day 14 Alice Springs
Enjoy a free day to relax and explore Alice Springs.
Day 15 Alice Springs/Daly Waters (1L)
Take in the vastness of the Northern Territory and travel north via the Devils Marbles - giant red granite boulders that are a sacred site to Aboriginals. Finish the day at Daly Waters and grab a drink at the local Outback pub teeming with character. Additional Notes: We spend approx 12 hours on the road today, stopping off in Daly Waters for the night. Make sure to grab a drink or two at the famous local pub in this small Outback town. Transport: Private Vehicle (12.00 hour(s), 920km)
Day 16 Daly Waters/Katherine (1B, 1D)
Continue north, stopping for a visit at the Mataranka Hot Springs before setting up camp in Katherine. Opt to walk the stunning Katherine Gorge or get adventurous with a helicopter flight over the gorge taking in the stunning scenery. Additional Notes: Availability of optional activities may change depending on the season. Included Activities: Mataranka Hot Springs Visit Transport: Private Vehicle
Day 17 Katherine/Kakadu National Park (1B, 1L, 1D)
Continue north, stopping at Edith Falls. Explore the waterfalls, swimming holes and trails of Kakadu National Park—a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Additional Notes: The itinerary for this day varies depending on seasonal/weekly weather. We will visit slightly different attractions depending on the weather conditions. Included Activities: Gunlom Falls Visit Transport: Private Vehicle (4.00 hour(s), 300km)
Day 18 Kakadu National Park/Litchfield National Park (1B, 1L)
Continue exploring Kakadu NP, stopping off at sacred rock art galleries. Head towards Litchfield National Park, stopping for a nature cruise to try and spot crocs. Additional Notes: We overnight just outside of Kakadu NP. Depending on weather, sleep in a swag under the stars or a hut if raining. Included Activities: Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre Visit Bowali Visitor Centre Visit Ubirr Rock Art Transport: Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 200km)
Day 19 Litchfield National Park/Darwin (1B, 1L)
Tour Litchfield NP to encounter streams, rock formations and the impressive termite mounds. Tour ends in Darwin upon arrival in the evening. Included Activities: Crocodile-Spotting Boat Cruise Litchfield National Park Visit Departure Day (Activities) Transport: Private Vehicle (5.00 hour(s), 350km)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 29 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.