from $ 6,162* per person
Travel to Jordan and visit the rose-hued fortress city of Petra, which was the capital of the ancient Nabataeans - a mysterious people who carved a trading empire from the desert in what is now modern Jordan. Take time to explore the extraordinary beauty of Petra's rock-hewn architecture and to discover its history. There's also time to float in the legendary Dead Sea and see Jerusalem shimmering in the distance from mosaic-adorned Mt Nebo. This short break amid ancient wonders is the perfect way to cap off a voyage to the Middle East.
Travel Dates: From 01/10/2020 to 02/01/2023
Duration: 3 days
Departing From: Amman
- Spend a day taking in the majesty and mystery of unforgettable Petra
- You will be blown away at your first sight of the Treasury
From the top of Mt Nebo take in the views over Jordan
Later journey to the lowest point on earth and experience the feeling of being weightless while you float in the super salty dead
Breakfasts Included: 2
Lunches Included: 1
Hotel (2 nts)
Age: min 12
Group Size: 1 - 6
Mt Nebo - Site visit
Dead Sea - Visit including lunch
Petra - Guided tour
Day 1: Amman/Dead Sea/Petra
Ahlan Wa Sahlan! Welcome to Jordan. Your Petra Uncovered Short Break starts at 10am this morning. You will be picked up from the Art Hotel in Amman, or from your alternate hotel (if advised prior to departure) before departing for Mt Nebo (approx 1.5 hours). After enjoying the magnificent mosaics of Mt Nebo and the amazing views ( which, on a clear day, extend all the way to Israel) we travel to the Dead Sea (approx 30 minutes). The Dead Sea is 67 kilometres long and 18 kilometres wide at its widest point. It lies in the Jordan Rift Valley with Israel on its west bank. A Dead Sea float is a must for any trip to Jordan. Here at the lowest point on Earth (420 metres below sea level) the water is seven times saltier than a normal ocean at 30% salinity. The Dead Sea is the second saltiest body of water in the world after Lake Asal in Djibouti. When swimming this means you are extremely buoyant and seem to float on top of the water rather than in it. The mud here is supposed to have healing properties and many visitors like to cover themselves from head to toe for a beauty mud bath. Stop at a private beach with pools and a gentle slope to the water. Towels are available for hire. Don't forget to pack your swimwear for today. After a hearty buffet lunch we continue on to the mountains of Petra where we spend the night.
Day 2: Petra
Hewn out of the rose-coloured rock face, the ancient Nabataean city of Petra is one of the Middle East's most spectacular destinations, and one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was discovered by Johann Ludwig Burckhardt, a Swiss explorer. It was once described as 'a rose-red city half as old as time' in a sonnet by John William Burgon and UNESCO has described it as 'one of the most precious cultural properties of man's cultural heritage.' In 1985, Petra was designated a World Heritage site. So you know you are in for an amazing experience here. According to Arab tradition, Petra is the location where Moses struck a rock with his staff and water came forth. You will be met by your local guide who will accompany you today (2-3 hours) through the site of Petra. We recommend you start early to avoid the crowds and the heat, and to best appreciate the changing light on the colourful rocks of the Siq (main entrance to the ancient city). The day starts with a mesmerising walk through the narrow Siq to the fabulous Treasury. After admiring this iconic view continue through the site along the Roman road passing several impressive tombs and the city's amphitheatre. If you are feeling energetic you can take the 800 steps up to the Monastery. Please note that the site of Petra is huge and it takes at least a full day of walking to fully appreciate all of its attractions. Please also note that when entering Petra a complimentary horse ride is included in the ticket price from the entrance point of Petra down to the Siq. Intrepid recommends passengers do not take this option due to the safety and insurance liability involved The evening is free to enjoy dinner in one of the many restaurants in the village.
Day 3: Petra/Amman
Today your Petra pass remains valid and you are free to explore more of the ancient city. You must check out of your hotel by 10.00am. You can store luggage at reception. At 4:00pm today you will arrive back to the Amman Pasha Hotel in Amman after a transfer of around 5 hours. Alternatively, if you would prefer to be dropped off at a different hotel in Amman or at the airport, please speak to your leader and we can arrange this free of charge. If you require a airport departure transfer after this time, this can be pre-arranged with your booking agent. Accommodation is not included tonight. If you would like to book additional post-trip accommodation please speak to your agent at time of booking. If you would like to return to Amman earlier for a flight departure please also mention this at time of booking.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 16 July 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.