Best of Germany
Be captivated by the old world charm of Rothenburg and Nuremberg, the mountain scenery of Bavaria and the amazing re-birth of Dresden to its former Baroque splendour. Experience the once in a decade Oberammergau Passion Play with premium tickets secured by Insight Vacations.
Travel Dates: From 10/04/2020 to 27/09/2020
Duration: 10 days
Company: INSIGHT VACATIONS
Call 2830 2899 and
quote deal number 10497255
Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Learn about the history of the tradtional Schneeballen pastry from an artisan baker, followed by a tasting
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Select one of Rothenburg's excellent restaurants, each with its own distinctive ambience and cuisine, for your Dine-Around Evening
- They're everything from local Franken specialities to international comfort food to choose from
- Villingen-Schwenningen: Savour a delicious Farm-to-Table dinner in the scenic Black Forest region, famous for its culinary delights
- Mainz: Take a seat on the terrace for stunning views of the Rhine
- Tantalise your taste buds and toast to the culmination of your Germanic journey during a sumptuous Celebration Dinner complete with all the trimmings and served with wine
- Dining Summary:: 9 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee
- Black Forest: Watch skilled artisans at work, learn the history and ancient techniques of clock making
- Oktoberfest: Strap on your Lederhosen for a visit to the world's greatest Volksfest in Munich on select departures
- Berlin: Our Local Expert will show you some of the main highlights of this historic city as you travel along the Unter den Linden, including the Memorial Church, Tiergarten, the Reichstag building, Brandenburg Gate, Humboldt University, State Opera and Museum Island
- Dresden: Explore with your Local Expert and see the Frauenkirche, ‘The Procession of the Dukes’ mosaic mural on the Royal Palace, the cathedral, Semper Opera House and Zwinger Palace
- Munich: See the university, Victory Arch, Marienplatz and the Town Hall and Glockenspiel
- Neuschwanstein: Visit the archetypal fairy-tale castle that allegedly inspired many of Walt Disney's castles
- Led by a local historian, walk through the magnificent halls, take in the lavish decoration and enjoy spectacular views
- Wies: Stop to marvel at the opulent interior of the Wieskirche
- Oberammergau: Explore the town and see the theatre where the Passion Play has been performed since 1634 and the next performance will be in 2020
- Lindau: Cross the causeway to this delightful island town in the middle of Lake Constance
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany
- Heidelberg: Venture inside the magnificent castle built in red sandstone, overlooking the Student Prince’s town
- See the massive Heideleberg Tun built into the cellar in 1591, visit the Apothecary Museum and enjoy panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley
- Heidelberg: Explore one of Germany's most enchanting cities during your orientation with your Travel Director
- Mainz: Your Travel Director leads you an on orientation of the city
- Rhine Valley: Cruise beneath the semi-ruined castles and terraced vineyards
- Sleepy villages slip by as you saunter upstream to the Lorelei Rock where the enchantress lured sailors to their doom
- Koblenz: See the Deutsches Eck Monument and enjoy the scenic vistas from the Niederwald Monument
- Scenic Drives: Travel along part of the Romantic Road and pass the Bavarian Alps, continue along the Alpine Road, through the Black Forest, along the German Clock Route and pass the Neckar Valley
Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
On arrival at Berlin’s Tegel Airport, transfers to your hotel depart at 10:30 and 12:30. In the afternoon, perhaps visit the KaDeWe department store - the shopping centre of West Berlin which during 40 years of division, became the shop window of the West. At 17:30, join your Travel Director and travel companions for a Welcome Dinner with wine, at a local restaurant.(Dinner with Wine)
Join a Local Expert to see some of Berlin's many highlights. Travel along the Ku'Damm past the Memorial Church. Drive through the Tiergarten to see Norman Foster’s glass dome that crowns the reconstructed Reichstag building. Continue with a visit to the Brandenburg Gate, a symbol of the reunification, and down long the Unter den Linden, past the Humboldt University and State Opera. Stop on Museum Island before enjoying a day at leisure in this once divided city. Perhaps take the opportunity to visit the glorious palace of the Prussian Kings at Potsdam?(Breakfast)
In Dresden, join your Local Expert to see the splendours of the city. From the Frauenkirche, which has risen again from the destruction of World War II, walk past ‘The Procession of the Princes', a mosaic of colossal proportions on the Royal Palace facade. See the enormous cathedral, Semper Opera House and Baroque Zwinger Palace. Although the town was heavily bombed in World War II, it still remains a treasure trove of early German history and medieval architecture.(Breakfast)
In the morning, depart Dresden and travel south to Nuremberg for a stop to take in the former rally grounds. Continue on to the vibrant city of Munich. Enjoy a city orientation that will show you the university, Victory Arch and the Marienplatz, where crowds gather at the Town Hall to watch the antics of the Glockenspiel.(Breakfast)
In the morning, travel to Neuschwanstein: Ludwig II’s fairytale castle spectacularly perched on an Alpine mountainside. A local historian will guide you through the exuberantly decorated apartments, including the Throne Room and Lohengrin Grotto. Continue along part of the Alpine Road amid beautiful scenery to the Wieskirche, a masterpiece of Bavarian Rococo. Journey onto Oberammergau in the Bavarian Alps, home of the Passion Play since 1634. See the immense theatre and colourfully-painted chalets. Afterwards, return to Munich for a free evening.(Breakfast)
Travel through lush, rolling dairy country to Lindau, an island situated in the middle of Lake Constance, connected to the mainland by a causeway. Stroll through the narrow streets past old inns and half-timbered houses, to admire the fantastic backdrop of the Swiss and Austrian Alps across the lake. Take a delightful drive along the shores of Lake Constance, lined with orchards and vineyards and into the Black Forest. For dinner you are treated to a Farm-to-Table experience at a local restaurant with locally sourced ingredients, skillfully prepared and accompanied with wine.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
The Black Forest is the land of cherry cake and cuckoo clocks, where traditional farmhouses dip their thatched roofs almost to the ground. Stop to meet the locals who still make cuckoo clocks by hand, a tradition passed down over 300 years. Venture to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the best-preserved town on the Romantic Road. Plunge back into the 16th century during your orientation with your Travel Director as you walk through narrow cobbled streets lined with high-gabled houses to the market square, dominated by its Renaissance town hall. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure for further exploration on your own. For your Dine-Around Evening, choose from a hand-picked selection of restaurants within the walls of the Old Town.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Head through the valleys, where villages and isolated farms nestle beside fast-flowing streams, before travelling north to Heidelberg. Visit Heidelberg Palace, or Heidelberger Schloss in German, one of the world's most impressive palace ruins, synonymous with the Romantic Movement. Venture inside to see the Heidelberg Tun, a gigantic wine vat built into the building's cellar in 1591 and able to hold 130,000 litres. Hear its associated tales of the dwarf court jester, Perkeo. Spend time in the vast and insightful Apothecary Museum, before marvelling at the panoramic vistas of the city and Neckar Valley from the castle fortress. Your hotel is in the nearby town of Mainz, a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans. Enjoy an orientation with your Travel Director and see half-timbered houses and medieval market squares that the city is known for.(Breakfast)
Begin the day with a relaxing cruise past steep-sided vineyards, half-timbered taverns, hilltop castles and the infamous Lorelei Rock. Arrive at Boppard and continue to Koblenz where a gigantic equestrian statue of Wilhelm I guards the junction of the Rhine and Moselle. Have your camera ready as you return along the eastern bank. Enjoy the scenic views from the mighty Niederwald Monument. In the evening, round off your German experience with a farewell Celebration Dinner overlooking the River Rhine, complete with local wine. Prost!(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Your journey comes to an end after breakfast with departure transfers arriving at Frankfurt airport at 08:00 and 10:00.(Breakfast)
Terms and conditions
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 05 March 2020 unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- Price is per person and subject to availability. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Local payments, "trip kittys" or food funds may apply and may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel agent prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Additional conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges and other applicable fees may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or Bpay.
- These prices are a guide to the best price. Prices are correct as at 29 February 2020 and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details.
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.