Christmas Markets of Austria & Bavaria (Winter 2019 2020)
Journey through the Bavarian Alps with their snow-capped mountains, musical Salzburg, the magical castle in Neuschwanstein, and on to heart-warming Munich.
Travel Dates: From 10/12/2019 to 17/12/2019
Duration: 8 days
Company: INSIGHT VACATIONS
- Included Insight Services
Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times
- If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Welcome to Vienna.
At Vienna airport, transfers for your hotel leave at 10:00, 13:00 and 15:00. Meet your Travel Director at 18:00 and travel to a local restaurant for your Welcome Dinner. Enjoy the opportunity to mingle with fellow guests over a delightful meal and wine.(Dinner with Wine)
The Habsburgs of Vienna.
At this time of year, the Austrian capital is a place of nostalgia and romance, with concerts, nativity displays and many official Advent Markets selling a vast array of seasonal gifts and mouth-watering treats. Join your Local Expert for a private tour of Maria Theresa’s Schönbrunn Palace. Then get your camera ready for a circuit of the famous Ring Road. This grand boulevard is built along the lines of the old city walls and showcases many of the capital’s architectural masterpieces, including the Opera House and Hofburg Imperial Residence. You also see the City Hall and its surrounding parklands, festively decorated in a sea of lights – the perfect setting for the Viennese Christmas Market. Here your Travel Director will introduce you to a market stallholder to enjoy sampling a Viennese winter dessert, complemented perfectly with a traditional fragrant glass of Glühwein.(Breakfast)
Free time in Salzburg.
Journey through the rich farmlands of eastern Austria towards the lakes and mountains of the Salzkammergut and the enchanting city of Salzburg.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
The City of Mozart.
Come December, the spires and domes of Salzburg’s old town are often draped in snow. Walk with your Local Expert to see Mozart’s family home on the Getreidegasse, beautifully decorated at this time of year. Then head on to the rosy hues of the 500-year-old Christmas Market in front of the cathedral. Culinary delicacies, candied fruits, hot mulled wine and the lovingly decorated stalls invite visitors to stop and browse.(Breakfast)
A scenic drive to Innsbruck.
A lovely drive brings you to the Inn Valley and the mountain-ringed Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck. In front of the Golden Roof, surrounded by beautifully preserved medieval facades, you'll find the traditional Christmas Market is in full swing. After some time to explore, enjoy delightful scenery and fresh air on a horse-drawn carriage ride through the countryside of Tyrol. In the evening, drive to the charming town of Hall in Tirol, which boasts Austria's best preserved ensemble of historic buildings. Soak up the friendly Yuletide atmosphere at Hall's traditional Christmas market, before enjoying a highlight banquet with wine in a 700-year-old building. After delighting your palate with Austrian specialities and wine, it’s a merry drive back to Innsbruck.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein.
Travel into the beautiful scenery of the German Alps to visit Oberammergau, home of the Passion Play since 1634. See the immense theatre and admire the colourful painted chalets, then continue to the fairy-tale castle of Neuschwanstein, perched on a spectacular Alpine mountainside. With a Local Expert, visit the exuberantly decorated apartments, including the Throne Room, before driving on to the Bavarian capital of Munich. Please note: Neuschwanstein Castle visits require a good level of mobility due to the number of stairs in the building and uphill, on-foot access to the castle during winter. Those who do not wish to ascend to the castle can enjoy a coffee and cake, while admiring the beautiful castle vista.(Breakfast)
Enjoy an orientation of the city which concludes in Marienplatz beside the soaring Town Hall, famous for its Glockenspiel. Beneath the gigantic Christmas tree, Munich’s traditional Christmas Market is an entrancing festival of light and music. In the evening, join your travelling companions at a local restaurant for a festive Celebration Dinner with wine and good cheer!(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Auf Wiedersehen Munich!
Your departure transfer arrives at Munich Airport at 09:30.(Breakfast)
Vienna: At the Christmas Market, meet a local stallholder and sample a delightful Viennese winter dessert, complimented perfectly with a traditional fragrant glass of Glühwein.
Hall in Tirol: Situated perfectly in a 700-year-old building in the charming town of Hall in Tirol, enjoy a medieval banquet of Austrian specialities with wine.
Munich: Join your newfound friends for a festive Celebration Dinner with wine and good cheer!
Dining Summary: 7 Breakfasts (B) and 3 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
Stay in style
Vienna: With views over the city and neighbouring Stadtpark, the Hilton Vienna is just a short walk from attractions like the Opera House and St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Top Rated Highlights
Christmas Markets: Be dazzled by the magic of Christmas with local handicrafts and festive treats.
Vienna: Tour the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
Vienna: The sheer opulence of Schönbrunn Palace will exhilarate your senses. Your Local Expert will bring to life the story of the Habsburgs during your tour of the royal grounds.
Salzburg: With a Local Expert, see Mozart’s family home on the Getreidegasse and the 500-year-old market in front of the cathedral.
Innsbruck: During your orientation you will see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace in the Old Town.
Innsbruck: Meet your coachman and enjoy a delightful journey through Tyrol’s picturesque countryside on your horse-drawn Fiaker.
Oberammergau: Visit the home of the Passion Play, to see the immense theatre and the colourfully painted chalets.
Neuschwanstein: With a Local Expert, visit King Ludwig II's fairy-tale castle, built high in the Bavarian Alps and rumoured to be the inspiration of Walt Disney's castles.
Munich: During your orientation of the city with your Travel Director, see the Victory Arch, Town Hall and Glockenspiel in Marienplatz.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 14 December 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.