Highlights of Central Europe
from $ 16,809* per person
Travel through the Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary and experience the incredible highlights of Central Europe. From the sleekness of Vienna, and from the architectural triumphs of Prague to the contrasting twin cities of Budapest, see how history, folklore and tradition are threaded through the fabric of modern life. Visit centuries-old castles, be spoilt by greenery in urban jungles, fall in love with Bohemian fairytale towns, marvel at the artistic talents of European masters and sip wine splashed with romance in an atmospheric underground cellar.
Destination: Czech Republic
Travel Dates: From 16/12/2019 to 21/12/2021
Duration: 9 days
Departing From: Munich
- Make most of free time in Prague by seeing a world of architectural styles, experiencing the city's bohemian hospitality and immersing yourself in one of Europe's most celebrated jazz scenes
Cycle through rolling hills and the medieval city of Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic
Immerse yourself in the history, architecture and bohemian vibes of the Czech Republic
- Enjoy low-lit jazz bars in Prague before stepping right into a fairytale in the World Heritage-listed town of Cesky Krumlov
An orientation walk around Vienna is the perfect way to appreciate the rich offerings of art and history on display in the Austrian capital
Enjoy a scenic walk along the banks of the River Danube in Budapest
- Threaded with bridges and hemmed in by castles and historic city buildings, Europe’s second longest river is also one of its most beautiful
Breakfasts Included: 8
Dinners Included: 2
Hotel (8 nights)
Bicycle,Metro,Private vehicle,Public bus,Taxi,Train,Tram
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Prague - Castle Entrance
Cesky Krumlov Cycling trip (weather and season permitting)
Guided walk around Cesky Krumlov
Food tasting trail & drink
Day 1: Prague
Welcome to Prague, the City of a Hundred Spires and the capital of the Czech Republic. Meet your team at 6 pm then enjoy a welcome dinner together. Afterwards, feel free to head for a walk through the city's storied streets, culminating with a drink at one of the many bars. Your leader will be able to provide good suggestions. The nightlife here is legendary: Europeans fly in just for the weekend so if you're partial to a boogie, why not linger a little and check it out.
Day 2: Prague
Head to Prague Castle this morning and spend some time exploring the St Vitus Cathedral and the colourful Golden Lane. The rest of the day is free to do as you wish. A bike tour through the city is a great way to see a lot of the city's sights or, if you can make some time, you could take day trip to the Bohemia region and see Kutna Hora and Sedlec Ossuary (the Bone Church). In the evening, maybe grab dinner with your new travel buds or otherwise hit the town solo. A visit to one of the city's dedicated absinthe bars is always a good shout, and Czech beer certainly needs no introduction, just go easy y'know.
Day 3: Cesky Krumlov
Depart Prague today and travel by bus to the southern Bohemian town of Cesky Krumlov (approximately 4 hours). This picturesque medieval town dates back to the 13th century and is like something out of a fairytale. Cesky Krumlov (pronounced 'Che-skee Krum-lov') means 'crooked meadow', which is befitting of a town that's nestled in a sharp bend of the Vltava River. Head out on an included cycling trip in the afternoon, across rolling hills and through tiny hamlets (approximate 2-2.5 hours). If you have time, explore the city's castle and its fabulous masquerade hall, or climb the tower for aerial views of the town.
Day 4: Cesky Krumlov
Today take a guided walking tour of the town which includes commentary of the mysteries that lie behind every shopfront and house on the crooked little streets. Learn about town’s brewing tradition that has existed in here for hundreds of years. For those seeking some more culture, and if there's time, a visit the Egon Schiele Art Centrum is well worth it. Here you can browse the gallery that's dedicated to that Austrian painter. If you are an adventurous spirit, jump in to a canoe and discover the town from a perspective of Vltava River.
Day 5: Vienna
Depart Cesky Krumlov by minivan this morning and cross the border into Austria, continuing to the cosmopolitan city of Vienna (approximately 3.5 hours). Join your leader for a walk through the city's compact centre (approximately 2 hours). Stop at the gothic-style St Stephens Cathedral, wander past the grand neo-classical Graben and onwards to the Hofburg Palace. Finish your orientation of the city at the State Opera House, one of the world's most important opera houses and the heart of classical Viennese culture. Art lovers have a vast choice of museums, from the Albertina to those located in the Museum Quarter. In the evening, perhaps head out for some Viennese cuisine.
Day 6: Vienna
You have the whole of today to explore Vienna and its surrounds. You might like to head out to Schoenbrunn for a guided audio tour of the summer palace, designed by Empress Maria Theresa. The Gloriette Monument has incredible views of Vienna and the palace gardens are free to all visitors, although there is a charge for entrance and tours of the palace. Vienna is a beautiful city, so try to capture its essence as best you can while you're here. Perhaps take a spin on the famous old Prater Ferris Wheel or practice your canter at the Spanish Riding School.
Day 7: Budapest
Journey across the border into Hungary by train, which should take around three hours to get to Budapest. Since the collapse of Communism, Budapest has experienced something of a renaissance. The grand architecture and boulevards evoke a time gone by, while glamorous stores and glitzy restaurants make this one of the truly great cities of Europe. One unmissable activity is a soak in Budapest's hot thermal baths. The pools vary in temperature, and some even feature whirlpools or seats where you can enjoy a game of chess. In the late afternoon let your leader take you for tasty food trail walk and enjoy an included drink at the end of it. Evening is free to enjoy as you please.
Day 8: Budapest
Today is free for you to enjoy everything Budapest has to offer. It's the spa capital of the world so if you want to do nothing more than soak all day, you won't be judged here. Otherwise, the architecture around the city is simply unbelievable and a stroll past the Danube Palace, Parliament and many churches along the river is well worth it. In the evening, grab your group for a farewell dinner, and after see if you can catch a show at one of the many theatres and concert halls.
Day 9: Budapest
Your adventure comes to an end today. There are no more activities planned and you're able to depart the accommodation at any time. As there's not much time in Budapest, it's recommended that you stay an extra few nights so you can truly experience this beautiful city. If you need helping booking additional accommodation, our reservations team can help (subject to availability).
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 18 November 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.