Easter Island Experience - Independent
Easter Island’s most famous attraction is the moai statues, enormous head-and-torso blocks carved from the stone of the Rano Raraku volcano. At least 288 moai once stood on massive stone platforms around the perimeter of the island. Another 600 are scattered across the island. At four metres high and weighing more than 80 tons, it’s estimated that between 50 and 150 people were needed to drag them across the countryside. Independent Experiences Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily. /experiences
Travel Dates: From 18/08/2019 to 03/01/2021
Duration: 4 days
- Take in the faraway feel of one of the world's most remote populated islands
Ponder the magic and mystery of the moai monoliths that weigh up to 50 tonnes
Learn about the heritage of the Rapa Nui people, the island's native Polynesians
Enjoy the warm hospitality of the local people, born from a mix of ancient travellers that arrived here from the Polynesian islands and from South America
Plenty of free time to stroll along Hanga Roa's main strip, sample the delicious local seafood or explore the island by bicycle
Visit the beautifully located Orongo Ceremonial Village and Ahu Akivi for unparalleled ocean views
Breakfasts Included: 3
Lunches Included: 1
Hotel (3 nts)
Group Size: 1 - 4
Complimentary arrival transfer
Complimentary departure transfer
Full day tour to Anakena
Half day tour to Akivi and the ceremonial sector of Tahai
Half day tour to Orongo and Rano Kau
1 Hanga Roa
On arrival at Easter Island's Mataveri Airport you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel in Hanga Roa, the island's main town. Please look for a person at the airport holding up a sign with your name on it. Once you have checked into the hotel the remainder of your first day will be free. Hanga Roa is a small place with 3800 inhabitants, but has excellent facilities such as banks, shops, restaurants and bars. At the port in the middle of town you will be immediately greeted by your first 'moai' - Ahu Tautira. There is much to see and do if free time is available. To the north of town are some scenic spots complete with more 'moai', as well as the Sebastian Englebert Museum of Anthropology - a good place to get acquainted with the Easter Island story.
2 Hanga Roa
After breakfast you will join a guided excursion around Easter Island. The island covers an area of 117 square kilometres, so it is quite manageable to see most of the island in a day. You'll leave Hanga Roa and travel along the south coast to Ahu Vaihu, where you will see eight large toppled 'moai' lying face down on the ground. You'll then continue to Rano Raraku, a large volcano also known as 'the nursery of the moai' because the statues around the island were cut from the stones that came from this quarry. Around this area can be found a 21 metre high 'moai' - the largest one ever carved. At Ahu Tongariro, you will be faced with the impressive sight of 15 restored 'moai' right on the coastline. The originals were destroyed by a huge tidal wave in 1960. Along the north coast is Anakena - a beautiful sandy beach with swaying palm trees. However, as with many significant spots on Easter Island, there is a 'moai' nearby standing guard in its own inimitable fashion.
3 Hanga Roa
In the morning you will make your way down to Orongo Ceremonial Village, which is set in a dramatic location 400 metres high on a ridge with the ocean on one side and the crater lake of Rano Kau on the other. It contains remnants of art relating to a birdman cult that has been around on the island for centuries. Nearby are a few 'moai' at Ahu Vinapu. In the afternoon you will travel to Akivi and view the seven 'moai' that overlook the site of an ancient village and out west towards the setting sun.
4 Hanga Roa
Your Independent Experience will come to an end today after breakfast. You will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight. Please ensure we are advised of your flight details booking your Easter Island Experience.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 August 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.