Best of Chile
from $ 15,475* per person
Introducing Intrepid’s first Chile-only adventure. Awash with phenomenal landscapes, this destination stands every bit as tall as its photogenic neighbours Peru, Argentina and Bolivia. Set off from the cobbled streets of Santiago, pop over to the Casablanca Valley for a winery tour, and explore what must be one of the most romantic (and good-looking) little towns in South America – Valparaiso. Before returning to the capital, venture up into the Andes and the Acatama desert and spend a few days checking out hot springs, lagoons, hiking trails, geological oddities and high-altitude geyser fields.
Travel Dates: From 08/09/2019 to 13/12/2020
Duration: 8 days
- Contrast Santiago’s historic city streets with the scenic vineyards of the Casablanca Valley, Chile’s fastest growing wine hot-spot
Explore the delightful port town of Valparaiso, where culture spills out into the streets and a rainbow of houses line the coast
Head out to the Moon Valley in the Atacama Desert and climb to the top of a sand dune for an unforgettable sunset
Visit the otherworldly El Tatio geyser, one of the highest elevated geyser fields in the world (4,300 metres above sea level)
A free day in San Pedro opens up a world of opportunities – lagoons, hot springs, hiking trails and more
Breakfasts Included: 7
Hotel (7 nts)
Age: min 15
Group Size: 1 - 12
Santiago - Orientation walk
Casablanca region - Tour of an organic & biodynamic vineyard including wine tasting
Valparaiso - Guided City tour
San Pedro - Valle de la Luna tour
San Pedro - Tatio Geysers Full day tour
Day 1: Santiago
Welcome to Santiago, Chile. Your adventure begins with a short meeting at 2 pm (followed by an orientation walk). Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place when you check in. We'll be collecting your insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so please ensure you have all these details to provide to your leader. For those unable to attend at this time there will be a Welcome meeting at 6pm, with the entire group, details will be in the hotel lobby. The orientation walk will take between 1- 2 hours and will take in sights such as La Moneda, Plaza de Armas and Mercado Central.
Day 2: Santiago / Valparaiso
Head west towards the coast late morning. Stop for a wine tasting on the way in the Casablanca Valley, located about 45 minutes outside of Santiago. Sitting on a coastal plain between the capital and Valparaiso, the valley is Chile’s fastest growing wine region; its rich soil and perfect climate make it a wine lover’s paradise. This visit (approximately 1 hour) is focused more on the sustainability and organic goals of the vineyard and the characters of biodiversity rather than tasting wine. Nice to know however that this area is known for crisp Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, but also for stunning reds like Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah. Continue (approximately 1.5 hours) through the lush green vineyards to the coast and the colourful city of Valparaiso, notable for its brightly hued houses spread across a series of hills overlooking the ocean. As a creative hub, the city has no shortage of options for a drink, so perhaps find yourself a place to sip some ancho reyes alongside locals for the evening.
Day 3: Valparaiso
Enjoy a walking tour of Valparaiso. It's a colourful, chaotically laid out town that's full of surprises, and much romanticised by poets such as Pablo Neruda. Your tour includes Plaza Aníbal Pinto, Paseo Gervasoni, Reloj Turri, Paseo Yugoslavo, Calle Serrano and and many more boulevards and areas of interest. Later on the walk takes in the Lukas Museum, which houses the collection of works by the cartoonist and illustrator Renzo Pecchenino (Lukas). The walk culminates in Muelle Prat (Prat Dock), a nice spot to watch sailors arrive in their lanchas (small ships) and to soak up the general buzz and bustle of harbourside life.
Day 4: San Pedro de Atacama
Transfer back to Santiago and take an included flight to Calama. Travel by private vehicle to San Pedro (approximately 1.5 hours). Your tour leader will take you on an orientation walk around the small town. The remainder of the afternoon is free.
Day 5: San Pedro de Atacama
This morning begins nice and early at around 430am. Head out on an included excursion to the El Tatio geyser (located 4300 meters above sea level) in the Atacama desert with an English speaking local guide. This is highest-elevation geyser fields in the world. Watch in awe as more than 100 geysers huff and puff around you, shooting streams of water and gas into the frigid air on this trip to the third-largest geyser field in the world. The El Tatio Geyser Field stands just over 14,000 feet (4,267 m) above sea level in the Andes Mountains of northern Chile, and getting here is half the fun. Travel up winding mountain roads, surrounded by the snow-covered peaks of both active and dormant volcanoes. Magma trapped beneath the surface of the earth heats the water underground, resulting in an explosive release of pressure. Run-off from the geysers drains away into emerald-green geothermal ponds, while small streams trickle down towards lower altitudes. As you walk through the fields, steam rising all around you, keep an eye out for the geyser field's fascinating local wildlife, which shows that nature's beauty can thrive even in harsh conditions. This activity will finish around 1pm and the remainder of the day is free. There are plenty of optional activities available including a visit to the hot springs, various hikes and a visit to one of the lagunas, please speak with your tour leader for some options.
Day 6: San Pedro de Atacama
The first half of today is free for optional activities. In the late afternoon, head out on an included excursion to the Moon Valley in the Atacama desert with an English speaking local guide. Located around 10 km away from San Pedro de Atacama, this has been declared a natural sanctuary as part of the Los Flamencos National Reserve (within the Salt Mountain range). On this tour, you see a geological spectacle of many colours and formations, similar to the moon's surface. Also visit the Tres Marias statues, the salt cave and go up to the Gran Duna (Great Dune) where you can admire a beautiful panorama as the sun sets and the colors in the sky change.
Day 7: Santiago
Transfer back to Calama airport for your included flight back to Santiago. Enjoy a free afternoon to further explore Santiago and perhaps head out for a final group dinner.
Day 8: Santiago
The adventure ends after breakfast.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 August 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.