Northern Thailand Hilltribes Trek
from $ 2,184* per person
You can’t get a greater appreciation for the diverse culture and gorgeous scenery of Thailand than by trekking up into the mountains to meet its remote hilltribe communities. And that’s just what this five-day adventure delivers. Head out from wondrous Chiang Mai and through a national park to Lahu and Karen villages, spend time with a shaman, explore deep caves by bamboo raft, and marvel at the lush jungle scenery before arriving at the hilltop village of Ban Jabo and the warmest of welcomes. This is Thailand as it’s been for centuries. Come back in time with us.
Destination: Chiang Mai
Travel Dates: From 03/01/2016 to 27/03/2021
Duration: 5 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your G for Good Moment: Ban Pha Mon Homestay, Ban Pha Mon Your G for Good Moment: Ban Muang Pam Homestay, Ban Muang Pam Your G for Good Moment: Ban Jabo Homestay, Ban Jabo
- Trek to remote hilltribe villages (4 days)
- Lod Cave visit and bamboo rafting
- Prehistoric coffin cave visit
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
4 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
Hotels (1 nts), basic huts (3 nts, multi-share)
Group Size Notes
Max 15, avg 5
- Please note this trip runs often in order to provide maximum flexibility when choosing dates
- It's possible your group size will be fairly small
Open pickup truck, van, trekking, raft
Day 1 Chiang Mai
Arrive at any time. Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting
Day 2 Chiang Mai/Ban Pha Mon (1B, 1L, 1D)
Tucked away in the hills of northern Thailand is where the most colourful and unchanged traditional communities can be found. Trek through forests and rural terrains to visit some of these diverse hilltribe villages; often, each will have their own unique language, clothing style, and belief system that differs significantly from those of neighbouring tribes. You are well looked after by your CEO and local guides, who take the responsibility of preparing all meals and carrying food supplies. Additional Notes: The exact itinerary of the walking on this trip may change from time to time, taking into account the weather and local conditions. Also, please note there may be times when the use of video and/or still cameras may be inappropriate -- your CEO and guides will be able to advise you. Be prepared for the accommodation to be basic; remember, it's all about an authentic and unique experience! Included Activities: Ban Pha Mon Homestay Hilltribe Trek Day 1
Day 3 Ban Pha Mon/Ban Muang Pam (1B, 1L, 1D)
Trek for about six hours and between villages, over farmlands and grasslands and acend to the ridgeline. Learn about bush medicine, seasonal fruits and plants and seeds. Slip your wet shoes on and descend to the Huew Hin Poon Creek for lunch. Here, go for a swim and help the local guides make a friction fire and prepare lunch. Continue another hour and a half to the jungle Buddhist temple outside the second village. Spend the night in the Karen village learn about wood carving, weaving and cooking. Opt to learn about medicine from a shaman or play football with the locals. Included Activities: Hilltribe Trek Day 2 Ban Muang Pam Homestay
Day 4 Ban Muang Pam/Ban Jabo (1B, 1L, 1D)
After breakfast, leave the village and continue on, trekking beside the Pam River through lush jungle. Arrive at Tham Lod, a 1666m deep cave. Enter by bamboo raft and move to different chambers - a truly unique experience. Following the cave visit and lunch travel to Ban Jabo, a Black Lahu village. Learn about the Lahu culture, try out some traditional activities, and lend a hand making dinner using regional products and cooking methods. Included Activities: Hilltribe Trek Day 3 Ban Jabo Homestay Prehistoric Wooden Coffin Cave Visit
Day 5 Ban Jabo/Chiang Mai (1B)
Following breakfast, bid farewell to your hosts and return by private van to Chiang Mai, arriving at approximately 3pm. Tour ends on arrival. Included Activities: Departure Day (Activities)
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 26 July 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.