Southern Africa Family Journey: In Search of the Big Five
from $ 33,532* per person
Boasting jaw-dropping scenery and some of the planet’s most iconic wildlife, southern Africa makes for an unforgettable family adventure. On this action-packed journey, venture to South Africa to seek out the legendary “big five” on safari, soak up the charms of cosmopolitan Cape Town, and see penguins march along Boulders Beach. Then top off your journey in Zimbabwe with a tour of thundering Victoria Falls.
Destination: Cape Town
Travel Dates: From 16/03/2020 to 20/12/2021
Duration: 11 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Jane Goodall Chimp Eden Tour, Nelspruit Your Journeys Highlight Moment: Cradle of Humankind Experience, Johannesburg Your Foodie Moment: Traditional South Africa Braai (Barbecue), Johannesburg
- Arrival transfer
- Excursion to Cape Point including the penguins at Boulders Beach
- Kruger National Park wildlife safari drives in open vehicle
- Tour of Victoria Falls
- Internal flights
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
10 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 5 dinners
Hotel (5 nts), safari lodge (3 nts), guest house (2 nts)
Group Size Notes
Air-conditioned touring vehicle, open safari vehicle, walking, plane
Day 1 Cape Town
Arrive in time to meet your fellow travelers for a welcome gathering this evening. Your arrival transfer is included. Included Activities: Arrival Day and Welcome Meeting Transport: Arrival Airport Transfer
Day 2 Cape Town (1B)
This morning, set out on a daylong tour of the Cape Peninsula, a rocky headland jutting into the Atlantic Ocean. At Boulders Beach, watch thousands of African penguins waddle about their business. Then visit the notorious Cape of Good Hope—where many an unfortunate ship met its watery doom during the Age of Exploration—and climb up to the lighthouse at Cape Point for fantastic views. Head back to Cape Town via the spectacular Chapman’s Peak Drive, which snakes its way along the Atlantic. Included Activities: Cape Point and Boulders Beach Excursion Transport: Private Vehicle
Day 3 Cape Town (1B)
Spend the day at leisure, discovering the charms of Cape Town on a variety of optional excursions. Hike up iconic Table Mountain with a guide, or hop on the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway for a quick ride to the summit, taking in incredible views of the Atlantic seaboard. Pay an eye-opening visit to the Iziko Slave Lodge—a museum devoted to the history of slavery in South Africa. Wildlife lovers can head to the Two Oceans Aquarium to gush over the variety of its marine residents—from adorable clownfish to translucent jellies. Additional Notes: If you are interested in visiting Robben Island - you must book it directly with the museum on their website prior to travel: http://www.robben-island.org.za Due to high demand, it is common that this tour can be sold out over one month in advance.
Day 4 Cape Town/Greater Kruger Area (1B, 1D)
Fly from Cape Town to the Greater Kruger National Park and settle into your lodge, located at the gateway to the famed wildlife reserve. Transport: Flight (2.50 hour(s)) Private Vehicle (1.50-2.00 hours, 80km)
Day 5 Kruger National Park (1B, 1D)
At over 19,000 sq km (7,500 sq mi), South Africa’s Kruger National Park is one of the largest and most impressive animal reserves in the world. With 147 species, Kruger has more species of large mammals than any other park on the continent. Included Activities: Kruger National Park Open Vehicle Wildlife Safari Drive - Full day Transport: Safari vehicle (6.00-7.00 hours)
Day 6 Greater Kruger Area (1B, 1D)
Venture out on another early morning safari drive, looking for the creatures you didn’t get a chance to spot the day before. The afternoon is free to explore the Kruger region as you choose. Relax by the pool at our lodge, or opt to experience the area by zip-line. Included Activities: Kruger National Park Open Vehicle Wildlife Safari Drive - Half day Transport: Safari vehicle (3.00 hour(s))
Day 7 Greater Kruger Area/Johannesburg (1B, 1L)
After breakfast, head to Chimp Eden for an encounter with our closest relatives in the animal world. Run by the Jane Goodall Institute of South Africa, Chimp Eden is the first and only chimpanzee sanctuary in the country, and harbors more than 30 rescued chimps. Legendary ethologist and National Geographic grantee Dr. Jane Goodall devoted her life to the study of chimpanzee behavior; at Chimp Eden, we’ll get an opportunity to see rescued chimps living in a safe and secure sanctuary and learn why Jane was so captivated by them when she first began her research in 1960. Later, settle in for the drive to Johannesburg, arriving in the evening. Additional Notes: Today is a long driving day; but we will make stops along the way at the Chimp Eden Sanctuary and for lunch. Included Activities: Jane Goodall Chimp Eden Tour Transport: Private Vehicle (1.50-2.00 hours, 80km) Private Vehicle (5.00-6.00 hours, 350km)
Day 8 Cradle of Humankind (1B, 1D)
Step back millions of years in time on a visit to the Cradle of Humankind, where the fossils of some of our earliest known human ancestors were discovered. Here, National Geographic Explorer-at-Large Lee Berger excavated the Homo naledi, a recently defined species of hominin. Descend into the otherworldly Sterkfontein Caves, where the remains of “Mrs. Ples” and “Little Foot”—both more than two million years old—were found; then venture to the Maropeng Visitors Centre to gape at the actual skeletal remains and embark on an immersive journey through the evolution of our species. This evening, feast on a traditional South African braai (barbeque). Included Activities: Cradle of Humankind Experience Traditional South Africa Braai (Barbecue) Transport: Private Vehicle (1.50-2.00 hours, 100km) Private Vehicle (1.50-2.00 hours, 100km)
Day 9 Johannesburg/Victoria Falls (1B)
Catch a flight to Zimbabwe and check in to your hotel. Set out with a local guide for a tour of Victoria Falls, one of the largest waterfalls on Earth. Scottish explorer David Livingstone named them after Britain’s Queen Victoria, while their older, indigenous name is Mosi-oa-Tunya—“the smoke that thunders.” You can hear the falls’ mighty roar from up to 24 miles away; and standing at one of the cascade’s overlooks, you’ll be drenched by its powerful spray. Included Activities: Victoria Falls Guided Tour Transport: Plane (2.00 hour(s))
Day 10 Victoria Falls (1B, 1D)
The day is free to explore Victoria Falls and its surroundings. Embark on a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River; hit the rapids on a thrilling white-water rafting excursion; or take a memorable helicopter ride above the massive cascade. You can also take a day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana to seek out its resident elephants. This evening, celebrate your journey with fellow travelers at a farewell dinner featuring a performance of local music and dance. Included Activities: Farewell Boma Dinner
Day 11 Victoria Falls (1B)
Depart at any time. Included Activities: Departure Day
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 August 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.