Uyuni Experience - Independent
Embark on a tour of this arid, immense and complex salt plain area to uncover another side of Bolivia. Visit unique geological formations and spend time visiting the tiny town of Jiria, marvelling at the huge cacti atop Isla Pescado and exploring the Coquesa Caves (and the mummies within). Wander with llamas and enjoy the feeling of remoteness that comes with this otherworldly environment.
Travel Dates: From 16/10/2019 to 02/10/2020
Duration: 3 days
- Bolivia's Salar de Uyuni is the world's largest salt lake
- Cross the perspective-bending white expanse in a 4WD with a local guide, making several fascinating stops along the way
Uyuni was once a distribution centre for trains carrying minerals to the Pacific
- Walk among rusty, abandoned trains in the old Train Cemetery
Explore the village of Jiria at the foot of the dormant Tunupa volcano
As you explore the rocky island of Isla Wasi, rising from the salt pans and covered with flowering cacti, you might feel like you've stepped inside a surrealist painting
Look upon ancient mummies and ceramics in the Coquesa Caves
- This is a great chance to explore a remote part of Bolivia
Breakfasts Included: 2
Lunches Included: 1
Dinners Included: 1
Hotel (2 nights)
Group Size: 1 - 4
Complimentary airport arrival transfer
Coquesa Caves Visit
Inkawasi Island visit
Tanupa Volcano Visit
Train Cemetery Visit
1 La Paz
Welcome to La Paz, the highest city in the world! On arrival at the airport, take a complimentary transfer to the Peregrine joining hotel. Today is arrival day so there are no activities planned until an important welcome meeting at 6 pm with your leader and group. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place.
2 La Paz- Uyuni
Today take a flight from La Paz to Uyuni. The flight time will be advised at your evening meeting on Day 1. The remote town of Uyuni sits on the edge of the high altiplano, which extends towards the border with Argentina and Chile. The town was once a distribution hub for trains carrying minerals on their way to Pacific Ocean ports. In the 1940s the mining industry collapsed and many trains were abandoned. Depending on when you arrive into Uyuni, you'll visit a Train Cemetery either today or tomorrow. Uyuni's salt flats are a 12,000-square-kilometre expanse of perfectly flat salt. Spend a full day exploring the lake by 4WD. Make sure you snap some classic perspective-bending photographs with your group. Discover the cacti and coral-like structures on the rocky island of Isla inca wasi and visit the small town of Colchani, where you'll see how the locals farm and process salt from the Salar. Head to the tiny village of Jiria at the foot of the Tunupa Volcano. Here you'll visit the Coquesa Caves, which are home to ancient ceramics and a mysterious family of mummies who have remained untouched for over 1,200 years. At the end of the day, drive to your accommodation on the salt plains. Note: If you are travelling between December and April (the wet season), please see the 'Important Notes' section of the trip notes.
3 Uyuni- La Paz
This morning travel across the salt flats to the Galaxy caves. Stalactites and stalagmites form floor-to-ceiling columns in this bizarre natural formation. Afterwards, stop for lunch and visit the Pulacayo mine, before heading back to Uyuni. From here, take a flight back to La Paz airport, where this trip comes to an end. Important: If you are booking a departure flight from La Paz for today please ensure it's no earlier than 1800/6pm. Alternatively if you wish to fly out earlier please check with us within 30 days from departure and we can advise you what time your flight from Uyuni is due to arrive in La Paz. If you need additional accommodation in La Paz and/or a transfer into the city, we would be happy to assist. Please speak with your booking agent. Note: During the wet season, it won’t be possible to visit the Galaxy caves, although you will see the Pulacayo mine. At Peregrine, we are always looking for ways to improve our trips. Your feedback is invaluable to us and to our tour guides. It tells us what we're doing right and what improvements could be made to help future travellers choose and enjoy Peregrine. At the end of your adventure, we ask that you to take a few minutes to complete our on-line feedback form. Just go to http://www.peregrineadventures.com/tour-feedback. We’d love to hear what you have to say!
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 20 October 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.