Uyuni Experience – Independent
In just three days, venture from high-flying La Paz to some of Bolivia’s most surprising and extraordinary natural wonder. Embark on a 4WD adventure over Salar de Uyuni – a vast expanse of salt plains and cacti-filled islands. Visit unique geological formations, learn of the region’s prosperous mining past, and discover the mysterious mummies that have called the Coquesa Caves home for thousands of years. With the ideal balance between guided experiences and independent travel time, this bite-sized Bolivian adventure is just the ticket.
Travel Dates: From 01/04/2020 to 02/01/2022
Duration: 3 days
- On a clear day, Salar de Uyuni’s horizons stretch as far as the eye can see
- Discover cacti-filled islands and the shimmering salt flats on a 4WD tour, stopping for some mind-bending photo opportunities
Explore the village of Jiria at the foot of the dormant Tunupa volcano, and walk among abandoned locomotives in Uyuni’s so-called ‘train cemetery’
Learn from your local guide about the mysterious stories that try to explain the ancient mummies and ceramics found deep in the Coquesa Caves
Breakfasts Included: 2
Lunches Included: 1
Dinners Included: 1
Hotel (2 nights)
Group Size: 1 - 4
Complimentary airport arrival transfer
Coquesa Caves Visit
Inkawasi Island visit
Tanupa Volcano Visit
Train Cemetery Visit
1 La Paz
Welcome to La Paz – the highest city in the world! On arrival at La Paz Airport, take a complimentary Peregrine transfer to your hotel. Today is an arrival day so there are no activities planned until an important welcome meeting at 6 pm. Afterwards, consider a local meal in the city – ask your briefing leader for some delicious recommendations.
2 La Paz – Uyuni
This morning, head back to the airport for a flight to Uyuni. This remote town sits on the edge of the high altiplano, extending towards the border with Argentina and Chile. The town was once a hub for trains carrying minerals on their way to Pacific Ocean ports. In the 1940s the mining industry collapsed, and many trains were abandoned, and depending on when you arrive into Uyuni, you'll get to visit one of these so-called ‘train cemeteries’ either today or tomorrow. You’ll also spend the day exploring Uyuni’s salt flat lake by 4WD. Make sure you snap some classic perspective-bending photographs with your group. Discover the cacti and coral-like structures on the rocky Isla Inca Wasi and visit the town of Colchani, learning how locals farm and process salt from the plains. Afterwards, head to tiny Jiria, situated at the foot of the Tunupa Volcano. Here you'll visit the Coquesa Caves, which are home to ancient ceramics and mummies who have remained untouched for over 1200 years. After all your sightseeing is done for the day, drive to your accommodation for the night.
3 Uyuni – La Paz
This morning travel across the salt flats to the Galaxy caves. Stalactites and stalagmites form floor-to-ceiling columns in this bizarre natural formation. Afterwards, stop for lunch and visit the Pulacayo mine, before heading back to Uyuni. From here, transfer to Uyuni airport to take a flight back to La Paz, where your trip comes to an end on arrival.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 03 March 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.