Bolivian Salt Flats & Andean Desert Short Break
from $ 8,837* per person
Cruise across the otherworldly landscapes of the Atacama Desert, past ice-capped mountains and colour-shifting lakes, on this 4WD safari. The beautifully unforgiving salt flats and high plains of Bolivia are both a source of history and inspiration, a place where the local Boliviano's have battled with the elements for centuries. Visit the remote towns that make their homes on the outskirts of the world's driest desert, climb among the rusted ruins of the abandoned train cemetery, and create hilarious perspective-bending portraits on the seemingly never-ending salt flats. Embrace freezing temperatures and windy conditions to be rewarded with a luxurious soak in a thermal hot spring. See the twisted geometric formations that inspired Salvador Dali and witness roiling fumaroles and geysers. This is an adventure in its truest sense, taking you to the edge of the Earth on a journey you won't soon forget.
Travel Dates: From 03/06/2020 to 05/01/2022
Duration: 6 days
- If you've ever dreamt of walking on water (well, at least on a lake), this is your chance
- Cross the epic white expanse of Bolivia's salt lakes on a 4WD adventure across the rocky Atacama Desert
Empty, haunting and spectacular, the laws of earthly physics bend on the surreal Salar de Uyuni saltpan
Uyuni is full of unexpected sights – just one of these is families of abandoned geriatric locomotives left to rust slowly in the sun at the eerie Train Cemetery
Ancient mummies don't just exist in Hollywood movies
- See some real ones in the Coquesa Caves, which happen to sit at the foot of a dormant volcano
As you explore the rocky island of Isla Wasi, rising from the salt pans and covered with flowering cacti, you might feel like you've stepped inside a surrealist painting
Breakfasts Included: 5
Lunches Included: 3
Dinners Included: 2
Dormitory (2 nts),Hotel (3 nts)
Age: min 5
Group Size: 1 - 12
Uyuni - Full-day 4x4 tour of Salar de Uyuni including a visit to Isla Inca Wasi
Eduardo Avaroa National Reserve - Altiplano tour including Laguna Colorada & Laguna Verde
Day 1: La Paz
Touch down in lovely, but dizzying, La Paz. Dizzying because it sits at a spectacular 3,660 metres above sea level. Perched on the edge of a canyon and backed by the looming Mount Illimani, La Paz makes sipping a cup of Bolivian tea a jaw-dropping experience. Today is arrival day so there are no activities planned until an important welcome meeting at 6pm in the hotel with your Intrepid local representative. Please look for a note in the hotel lobby or ask reception where it will take place. During this meeting, your Intrepid representative will let you know your flying time to Uyuni on Day 2 and will hand over to you the necessary e-tickets and vouchers you will need to complete this trip. They will also be collecting insurance details and next of kin information at this meeting, so ensure you bring these details with you. If you're going to be late, please inform hotel reception.
Day 2: Salar de Uyuni
Today take a flight from La Paz to Uyuni. The flight time will be advised at your evening meeting on Day 1. On arrival, you will be taken to our local representative’s office to meet the rest of fellow travellers for the day and that, depending on your arrival time, you may have some time to go for a small wonder in town. Arriving in Uyuni feels a bit like you've reached the end of the road, which in many ways is true. This remote small town sits on the edge of the high altiplano, a wilderness that extends for hundreds of kilometres towards the border with Argentina and Chile. So it's hardly surprising that the town has a bit of a wild west feel about it. Uyuni is best known for its proximity to the Bolivian salt flats known locally as the Salar de Uyuni. The town was once a distribution hub for trains carrying minerals on their way to Pacific Ocean ports. In the 1940s, the mining industry collapsed and many trains were abandoned. Spanning over 12,000 square kilometres, and heaving with around ten billion tonnes of salt, Salar de Uyuni is the world’s largest saltpan, and there are plenty of opportunities for perspective-bending photographs with your group (using props really adds to it). Stop by the small town of Colchani, where you'll see how locals farm and process salt from the Salar. After you'll visit Isla Wasi – a rocky, cactus and coral-like structure covered island erupting from the monotonous salt crust like a hallucination.
Day 3: Andean Desert
Drive through the spectacular landscape of the Atacama Desert, which is sprinkled with other-worldly volcanoes and lakes. During this drive you’ll reach an altitude of approximately 4900 metres above sea level, so it’s important to prepare yourself by reading the ‘Medical and health information’ section of the Essential Trip Information. Stop by Laguna Colorada, a rich red lake vividly coloured by algae and rich minerals. Perhaps one of the strangest sights in such an arid and inhospitable landscape is the abundant wildlife, with llamas, flamingos, vicuñas, and foxes frequently making appearances on the Altiplano.
Day 4: Natural Hot Springs / Uyuni Town
This morning we will visit the picturesque Laguna Verde (Green Lake) a mineral salt lake, located 4300 metres above sea level at the foot of Volcano Licancabur. Apart from incredible vistas and snow-capped volcanoes, the arid landscape of the Atacama Desert also hosts some stunning natural hot springs. We'll stop at one of the desert’s natural thermal baths. Soak in the soothing outdoor baths and watch steam rise from the water against the morning sun. Afterwards hop back into the 4WD and travel back to Uyuni, passing geysers and volcanic vents along the way (today will be a long day, approximately 12 hours before arriving back at Uyuni Town) Back in town, wander around the streets of this remote settlement and chill out before heading back to La Paz tomorrow.
Day 5: Uyuni / La Paz
Catch a morning flight (included) to La Paz and enjoy a free day to explore this incredible city's irregular-shaped streets and alleys at your leisure. Perhaps pay a visit to the intriguing Witches Market (Mercado de Hechiceria), stop in for an impromptu tour at the La Paz Chocolate Factory, or try some empanadas at the Mercado Camacho. Maybe head to the Mirador Killi Killi Lookout, located on top of a steep hill in the neighbourhood of Villa Pabon, and one of La Paz’s most impressive viewing points. Nearby is the National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore, which exhibits a wide collection of stunning works that takes you through Bolivian history. Toast the end of your high plains adventure with a glass of api and plate of chicarron.
Day 6: La Paz
Your Bolivian adventure comes to an end after breakfast. If you're not departing La Paz today, perhaps experience another side to this incredible city with a spot on our 'Food With Altitude' Urban Adventures tour.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 03 April 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.