This fascinating and moving tour focuses on the major areas of British and Commonwealth involvement across the Western Front - from The Somme to Amiens and Ypres. With the flexibility to ensure that each of our guests has the chance to see memorials to his (or her) country's fallen, this tour provides a personalised experience that's as unforgettable as it is enlightening.
Travel Dates: From 06/09/2020 to 12/11/2020
Duration: 5 days
Company: Back Roads Touring
- Take time to pay respects at your relatives' graves
Tour the well-preserved trenches and tunnels of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial
Attend the playing of the Last Post under the famous Menin Gate
DAY 1 Lille - The Somme - Amiens
After meeting in Lille, we’ll commence our first day by exploring the region of the Somme – the infamous site of one of the most costly battles of WWI. While we’re here, we’ll visit Newfoundland Memorial Park – where the original trench lines have been preserved – as well as the Ulster Tower and Pozières Cemetery. We’ll also have time to pay our respects at the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme before we set a course for Amiens – where an included dinner awaits. Accommodation: Hôtel Le Prieuré (or similar)
DAY 2 Amiens - Naour - Amiens
Today will begin with a visit to the underground city of Naours – where we’ll see the tunnels where hundreds of ANZAC soldiers left their mark. The inscriptions on the walls of this cave network provide a touching insight into the lives and personalities of some of the brave soldiers who fought in WWI all those years ago. Then: we’ll round off the day back in Amiens, where you’ll have some free time to explore at your own pace. Accommodation: Hôtel Le Prieuré (or similar)
DAY 3 Amiens - Villers Bretonneux - Ypres
After today’s breakfast, we’ll leave Amiens behind us – moving on to the Australian National War Memorial and Cemetery at Villers-Bretonneux. Our next stop will be the Canadian National Vimy Memorial: an impressive monument that overlooks the Douai Plain from the highest point of Vimy Ridge. This evening will see us dining together in Ypres - a city that was totally destroyed during the war and rebuilt anew. Accommodation: The Albion Hotel (or similar)
DAY 4 Ypres - Ypres Salient - Menin Gate - Ypres
The beautiful city of Ypres sits in the epicentre of British WWI endeavours, and there is much to see in the surrounding countryside – including John McCrae’s Dressing Station at Essex Farm Cemetery, the German Cemetery at Langemark and Vancouver Corner. Today we’ll also visit the fascinating Hooge Crater Museum – where we’ll discover a unique collection of WWI artefacts after exploring the trenches for ourselves. An evocative end to the day is in store: we’ve an appointment to keep at the Menin Gate Memorial, where we’re invited to attend the playing of the Last Post. Accommodation: The Albion Hotel (or similar)
DAY 5 Ypres - Fromelles - Lille
Today will be spent exploring Hill 60, the area around Fromelles, VC Corner and the Australian Memorial Park – and we’ll also be lucky enough to visit an exhibition commemorating the 2009 discovery of 250 previously unknown sets of remains at Pheasant Wood Cemetery. After coming full circle back in Lille later today, our tour will come to a close.
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 30 May 2020 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.