Thailand on a Shoestring
from $ 6,989* per person
Perfect for those looking to experience northern Thailand’s cultural treasures and the natural beauty of its southern islands. This 15-day trip will help you get off the beaten path with a trek to the region’s hilltribes but remains flexible enough to suit all tastes. From the lush hills of the north, stitched through with the diverse colours of its hilltribes, to the soft sands of the south and the glorious chaos of Bangkok, Thailand will leave you captivated.
Travel Dates: From 03/01/2015 to 24/04/2021
Duration: 15 days
Company: G Adventures
- What's Included
Your G for Good Moment: Kao Thep Pitak Community-Owned Farm & Meal, Ban Ta Khun Your Discover Moment: Bangkok Your Discover Moment: Chiang Mai
- Visit to Chiang Mai night market
- Hilltribe trek
- Bamboo rafting
- Street food crawl
- Snorkelling trip (Ko Tao)
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
10 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 2 dinners
Simple hotels (twin-share) or hostels (multi-share) (9 nts), basic hilltribe huts (2 nts, multi-share), sleeper trains (3 nts)
Group Size Notes
Max 18, avg 12
Local bus, train, walking, boat
Day 1 Bangkok
Today is arrival day, so there are no activities planned. Enjoy free time to relax, explore the city, and adjust to the frantic pace and humid heat of Bangkok. After your meeting, head out for an optional dinner to get to know your CEO and fellow group members better. Additional Notes: Please arrive at our start point hotel before 18:00 for an important group meeting where you will meet your Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and the other group members. Please look for a sign on the hotel's notice board for the time and location of your group meeting. Included Activities: Meet Your CEO and Group
Day 2 Bangkok/Chiang Mai (1B)
Opt to visit Wat Po and the Grand Palace, or check out the city's klongs by boat. Board an overnight train to Chiang Mai. Additional Notes: Due to disruptions of Thai trains in the north during the monsoon season, trips running July through October may use alternative transport. Transport: Basic overnight train (beds) (12.00 hour(s))
Day 3 Chiang Mai
Enjoy one of two street food crawls with the group and CEO. Opt to visit Doi Suthep temple, comb the night markets for souvenirs, or participate in a Thai cooking class. Additional Notes: Explore rural lanes of Chiang Mai in a tuk-tuk by pre-booking the Full Day Tuk-Tuk Adventure or experience the flavours and scents of traditional northern Thai cuisine by pre-booking the Northern Thai Cooking Class. Included Activities: Street Food Crawl
Day 4 Chiang Mai/Ban Mae Jok (1B, 1L, 1D)
We might have time to visit a local market before stopping for lunch and starting our trek. Tucked away in the hills of northern Thailand is where the most colourful and unchanged traditional communities can be found. Trek through forests and rural terrains to visit some of these diverse hilltribe villages; often, each will have their own unique language, clothing style, and belief system that differs significantly from those of neighbouring tribes. You are well looked after by your local guides, who take the responsibility of preparing all meals and carrying food supplies. Additional Notes: The exact itinerary of the walking on this trip may change from time to time, taking into account the weather and local conditions. Also, please note there may be times when the use of video and/or still cameras may be inappropriate -- your CEO and guides will be able to advise you. Be prepared for the accommodation to be basic; remember, it's all about an authentic and unique experience! Included Activities: Hilltribe Trek Day 1 Transport: Pickup truck (1.00 hour(s))
Day 5 Ban Mae Jok/Pa Khao Lam (1B, 1L, 1D)
You will also have the chance to fish at Mae Tang River using local tools; learn how to construct a bamboo raft. Included Activities: Hilltribe Trek Day 2
Day 6 Pa Khao Lam/Chiang Mai (1B, 1L)
After breakfast, leave the village by bamboo raft, stopping at other villages along the way. Meet the van after lunch and head back to Chiang Mai for some free time to explore. Included Activities: Bamboo Rafting to Lahu Village Lahu Village Visit Bamboo Rafting to Shan Village Transport: Pickup truck (1.50-2.00 hours)
Day 7 Chiang Mai/Bangkok (1B)
Opt to go shopping, enjoy a Thai massage, or explore Chiang Mai's many temples. Board an overnight train to Bangkok. Additional Notes: Due to disruptions of Thai trains in the north during the monsoon season, trips running July through October may use alternative transport. Transport: Basic overnight train (beds) (12.00-13.00 hours)
Day 8 Bangkok
Get out and explore this fantastic city where there is endless sightseeing to be done. Additional Notes: As this longer tour is comprised of two shorter tours, there is the possibility that you will need to change hotels on this day. Check in with your CEO about this while on tour. The two hotels we generally use are within walking distance.
Day 9 Bangkok/Surat Thani (1B)
Get to know Thailand's capital. Check out Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, get a Thai massage, or explore the klongs on a boat tour before an overnight train. Enjoy a street food crawl with the group and CEO either today or another day on tour. Included Activities: Street Food Crawl Transport: Basic overnight train (beds) (12.00-13.00 hours)
Day 10 Surat Thani/Khao Sok (1B, 1L)
Khao Sok is a diverse area of natural beauty, a perfect place for people who want to hike and get out there in nature or those that just want to chill out in a hammock by the riverside watching monkeys take their afternoon bath. As entry to Khao Sok NP is included for the day, you can opt for a trek in the park after checking in this afternoon. The park entrance is a short walk from the hotel, as is the main stretch of restaurants and bars in town. Included Activities: Kao Thep Pitak Community-Owned Farm & Meal Lake Cheow Lan Excursion Transport: Private Vehicle (1.50 hour(s)) Private Vehicle (1.00 hour(s))
Day 11 Khao Sok/Ko Pha Ngan (1B)
Travel to Ko Pha-Ngan, known for its epic parties. Explore the island and its beaches by day and dive into the nightlife when the sun goes down. Transport: Private Vehicle (2.50 hour(s)) Ferry (2.50 hour(s)) Songthaew (0.25 hour(s))
Day 12 Ko Pha Ngan
Enjoy a free day to explore the island's waterfalls, swim in lagoons, hike, or relax on the beach.
Day 13 Ko Pha Ngan/Ko Tao (1L)
During the past 10 years, the reputation of Ko Tao's natural beauty, especially its marine life and coral reefs, has spread the world over and the number of paradise seekers and divers increased rapidly. It's become one of the major dive sites in Thailand, attracting beginners and professionals alike. The island today, though still remaining a unique paradise, caters to all tastes and budgets. Included Activities: Ko Tao Snorkelling Transport: Ferry (1.50 hour(s)) Private Vehicle (0.50 hour(s))
Day 14 Ko Tao (1B)
Enjoy free time in Ko Tao today, relaxing on the beach or hanging out at one of the many beach bars. Additional Notes: Want to discover the fascinating coral and marine life inhabiting the area? Pre-book the Open Water Half Day Dive Experience extra to take two dives, guided by the experts.
Day 15 Ko Tao (1B)
Depart at any time. If booking a flight out of Ko Samui airport, the earliest departure time should be 11:00 am Want to take the hassle out of getting back to Bangkok? Book the Bangkok Express, a two-day post-tour Extra. Speak to your Global Connection Officer or travel agent to book. Additional Notes: Add the “Bangkok Express: Ko Tao to Bangkok” to your adventure and make your way back to bustling Bangkok with the guidance of a CEO. This nifty post-tour Extra includes a ferry to the mainland where you’ll board an overnight train to Bangkok arriving in the city early the next morning. Speak to your Global Connection Officer or travel agent to book. Included Activities: Departure Day
Terms and conditions
- The following product terms and conditions apply in addition to our Booking Terms and Conditions (available on our website) and terms and conditions of the relevant travel service provider.
- Prices quoted valid for sale until 23 August 2019 for travel during the period specified (if applicable) unless otherwise stated or sold out prior.
- All prices are per person (unless otherwise stated), subject to availability and may be withdrawn or varied without notice. Accommodation (if included) is based on twin share unless otherwise stated.
- Advertised price includes bonus nights and/or stated saving (if applicable).
- Additional supplier conditions and travel restrictions may apply. Please enquire for further details.
- Airfare (including internal flights) is not included unless otherwise stated and, if included, is economy class unless otherwise stated.
- Components of the total price including local payments, "resort fees", "national park fees", "trip kitties" and food funds (if applicable) may be payable direct to the supplier on arrival or to your travel consultant prior to your departure. Where applicable, these payments are included in the total price quoted.
- Gratuities are not included unless otherwise stated.
- Prices shown are fully inclusive of taxes, levies and government charges current at the time of publication.
- Additional levies, government charges & other applicable fees, including additional taxes, surcharges and visa fees specific to your departure date or flight routing, may apply and are beyond our control.
- Seasonal surcharges and blackout dates may apply depending on date of travel.
- Prices shown are for payments made by cash in store or by BPAY.
- Payments made in store by credit card will incur a surcharge (see Booking Terms and Conditions for further details).
- These prices are a guide to the best price and are subject to change without notice, due to matters outside our control, such as adverse currency fluctuations, fuel surcharges, taxes and airfare increases. Please enquire for further details..
Check out these other Tours
Call 2830 2899 or email a Travel Expert to find out more
Widest range, unique products
We have the widest range of airfares and holidays as well as access to specials you won't find anywhere else.
Personalised service guarantee
Access to inspiring advice, planning and booking services from expert travel industry professionals.
Experts: anytime, any place.
With a retail store in Hong Kong, a 24/7 call centre and website, we're always here for you.